Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scopes

Default Scopes

I wasn't sure where to put this but will ask.Has anyone delt with OPTICS PLANET? My brother told me that they have scopes for $50 cheaper than anyone,10% off and free shipping on the first order.I looked at the web site and things look pretty good.

I need a good 14 power or so scope with a 40/42mm bell for the weath 240.Im trying to stay away from A-O or side focus if possible.I love the Nikons and they have a whatever power by 14 with the reg crosshairs for $169/10% off and free shipping.I have over 10 Nikon scopes in prostaff to monarch and love them for the money or JUST LOVE THEM.I want fine cross hairs and the BDC rect is ok but was looking for something differ.

No I don't want or spending millions on a scope to top off a $519 rifle so don't tell me about high dollar scopes.Im wanting personal exp on something in the $250 or less range with fine crosshairs and maybe lines if its ballistic friendly for some where around 3400 FPS.Yea im asking for a lot but the BDC rect in the Nikon is damn close to holding the whatever circle on a target but kinda hate the circles.Nikon's BDC is kinda for 2800 or 3000 fps but the 240 will be way more than that.I clocked the 87grn bullet at 3406.

So is your question about Optics Planet or scopes?
    "When I have your wounded."
    -Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing an order to leave a hot L.Z., July 1, 1964, moments before being killed by a single shot.

I have bought from Optics and am very happy with their service and products. As to scopes, I prefer Nikon over all others including Leupold.

Yep I've bought from them and so has a coworker. We were both very happy with the service.

BB

NOTHING beats a Leupold in quality or high price. I have a fine wire 3-9 Leupold on my Hornet. Bought it that way and left it that way. Owned by a gunsmith. Shoots like a laser and kills everything it hits, and it never misses. It is my light walking around rifle. Now if the snow ever ends I might be able to walk . Oops I forgot about the ice.

Pickle, Optics Planet is great to deal with. I would second John in the Leupold. I have more of them than anything anymore. Customer service is tops. I have been looking at the Vortex line lately and am impressed, especially for the money. I have no idea about the customer service tho.

One thing that really turned me off Optics Planet was that they'll sell you something they don't have and it ends up going on backorder. Then you might not see it for a month.

Back in the days before Google figured out how to gouge profit like they do now, you could search for an SKU and then use the "shopping" tab and sort by price. Now the results seen via that method are merchants who toe some line or another. But I still discovered some great merchants before all that came down: Bear Basin, SWFA, ManVenture Outpost, Camera Land NY, and a few others. SWFA has a "sample list" of used and demo optics that are discounted. Camera Land NY runs specials, sales, and sells demo and open-box items at decent prices.
    Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.

Had my eyes on the Vortex also but never owned one.Sure,Lueps are great but like I said,the Nikon is just as good if not better when it comes to price and true tracking.I have many Lueps and to be honest,I hate them because it takes a million rounds to get them sited in if they don't click.I like clicks better than just a smooth turning scope sometimes or most.Luep is great and hold zero like most others if dropped or beat on with a sledge hammer,THEY DONT MOVE.Nikon is the same but they don't jump 6" when adjusting to get a POI to move only 1/4 or 1/2 inch.I have a $160 Bush that is way more user friendly compare to a few V1.V11 or V 3's.

What im getting at is,i hate a scope that takes a day to site in and have to clean the barrel a few times before getting right very fast and burn up handloads for nothing once you know they shoot damn good.My main concern was about Optics Planet and warranty isn't their problem the way I see it.That is for the scope maker to fix or replace.Never had to deal with Nikon and have a pile of them so I guess that's a good thing.Same thing for Luep and a few others.No breaking = don't have to call them.

Pickle, I've purchased from them without any problem. However, I prefer SWFA, and Camera Land NY, because I know if the item I'm looking for is in stock or not. I've also gotten free shipping from Camera Land, and their prices have been very hard to beat. Don't know what your budget is for the scope, but look at the Minox line, they are German made and without the high price. Also, Camera Land has open box items (they are new, never mounted) and they are usually around 50-90 bucks cheaper with the same manufacturer warranty. Unfortunately these guys don't have Nikon scopes, but SWFA do. Good luck.

Leupolds are on all my deer guns (which go out rain or snow) but my 223 has a 6-18 Tasco cause it is a fair weather rifle. 18 power kills flies on the 100 yard target. Man I cannot wait for the snow and ice to melt.

Has anyone ever heard anything about a Sheperd scope? It is supposed to be an excellent long range scope.

My Leupolds do not have clicks and are the biggest PITA to sight in. Once done they are great though.

Pickle which scope are you going to put on that 240? It deserves a high power scope to take advantage of it's accuracy.

Hey Pickle I sent you a link to a Leupold 3-9 which is click adjustable. The older ones had no clicks and were a bitch to sight in as I am sure you know.
    Last edited by j1; 04-13-2014 at 02:29 PM.