Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let it SNOW, please!

This freakin sucks. 18-20" of snow. Plowed 20 hours at work between the last 2 days and another 5 at home and with the neighbors. Another 2-4 or 3-5" tonight.

We killed a Fisher Vplow. Pivot pin came out while one of the guys was plowing. Bent the A-Frame, light frame and put a crease in the hydraulic reservoir. I bet that will be $2000 to fix. A seal blew on the one loader cylinder and that is down for repairs. Then today the one main pin for the 3 point snow blower snapped. So the whole loader is useless front and back.

Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.

Yup... back to the plowing. Snow is almost over. Another 4" of wet snow. Someone should shoot that freakin groundhog for predicting another 6 weeks of winter.

Thumbs up

Saturday's weather was fantastic. The snow on the mountains was illuminated as the sun came up painting a picture only a poet could describe.

We did our part at the Dog sled races. We tagged behind the 45 mile mushers on snowmobiles.

Pretty routine stuff, until 1 musher took a wrong turn about 20 miles into the race!

We were flagged down and told "He went thataway about 10 mins ago!" So I had to find a radio hot spot to call in "Musher left the race course" and the location. That gave him 10 more minutes lead. Utoh, he was headed downhill and making good time.

I stopped a couple of snowmobiles and asked if they had seen the runaway team. First group said "He's a mile ahead", next group said "He's 3 miles ahead of you" at that point my wife pulled out all the stops and said "I'll call you on the radio when I catch up to him!" I didn't here from her for 20 mins.

We crossed 3 roads that weren't part of the race so they did not have traffic control people there. I shutter to think how the dog team crossed! We stopped traffic for the return up the mountain to get back on the race course.

The 53 year old, Quebec Game Warden, musher decided to complete the course. He was very kind to his dogs as was off the sled pushing it up every hill, pushing with one foot on flat ground and slowing the sled downhill so the dogs didn't over exert themselves. His times were even as good as the winner through the rest of the course. I expect he would have won that race if there wasn't that mishap. I assume that there were people blocking the signs with their snowmobiles when he came through the intersection. It could happen to anyone.

My wife and I spent 8 hours on the sleds, we returned home @ 7:30PM. It was too difficult to see 9:30PM.

We were up at 5AM on Sunday and headed back to Sandwich Notch, this time for a pleasure ride over to Plymouth, about a 75 mile round trip.
    This was the best snow we had seen in 3 years!

It's snowing now, 9.5 inches so far and it's got a few hours left to go. I live in New Hampshire's snow belt on purpose, I ain't complaining!
    Last edited by Clayt; 02-18-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

I like snow but I don't like this years storms. I am up to around $4000 in repairs to our equipment at work. We are over 60" for the year which is about 10" under the all time record.

I order salt based on our "worst case scenario" year. Gone. I had to reorder 50% more and 25% is used already.

My 4 truck fleet was down to 2 trucks on saturday. One guy blew a cylinder because of a broken weld on one wing about 5 minutes into plowing and was done for the day. Then the other truck went down for about an hour until my guys could engineer a fix to 2 broken U bolts and a broken chain. Now I have FrankenPlow made up of parts from the 2 trashed plows and a $5300 bill for a replacement plow.

I am going to be at least $15,000 over budget on snow related things. The board will love that.....

Trade you some mud for snow.56 here today and 18.7 of snow is 4" of mud

Seems like a lot of the old crew is here. Yippee. Been plowing my driveway and parking area for a long time this year. Got a four wheel drive tractor with a bucket loader so I CAN plow. Just love diesel.

Pickle, next week is back to high temps under 30 all week and down in the teens again. Your mud will turn back to ice. We still have 2-3' on the ground.

It's been above freezing for 3 days now. I'm getting 8" of slush from my driveway.
    Snow is still very deep, over my knees when I walked across the lawn to roof rake my camper.
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

I think spring has sprung here. It feels just like March out there already.
    "I often wonder if the world is being run by smart people who put us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it" - Mark Twain