Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .223 cast 60 grainer

GunLoad Trainee

Hi all, I’m new to this forum and would like to say I’ve been hunting Deer and Antelope for 10 years with cast boolits and my trust old Ruger in 223. I did start out with red dot then about 4 years ago I switched to vv n110. I’ve never run the numbers on it but found it be a very accurate load.

I hope this helps?

Mold RCBS 22-055-FN
    Primer Remington 7.5
    Powder VV N-110
    Brass Military

[QUOTE=coyote;2284]My shootin' buddy and I were muling over the twist thing too. I loaded up some rounds with Win.748 [LOTS slower burning](16 grains) and the vel is too fast (2100fps) to prevent leading but I think we're on the right track. I'm going to drop the weight to 15 grains and see where that takes us.

If you heat treat the bullets you an stop the leading. I use clip on wheel weight material and the antinomy in this allows heat treating.

Cast bullets can be heat treated to increase their hardness providing your alloy has some antimony present. To heat treat your bullets:
    You can drop your bullets into a five gallon pail filled with cold water as you cast them.

This will Yield a BHN of about 16. Keep the bucket of water away from the melted lead so water can not splash into the hot lead.

Or you can oven heat treat the bullets.
    Cast your bullets in the normal manner, saving several scrap bullets. Size your bullets but do not lubricate them.
    Place several scrap bullets on a pan in your oven at 450 degrees and increase the temperature until the bullets start to melt or slump. Be sure to use an accurate oven thermometer and a pan that will not be used again for food.
    Once the bullets start to melt or slump, back off the temperature about 5 to 10 degrees and slide in your first batch of good bullets. Leave these in the oven for a half hour. Remove the bullets from the oven and plunge them into cool water. Allow them to cool thoroughly. When you are ready to lubricate, install a sizing die .001" larger than the one used to initially size them. This will prevent the sides of the bullets from work-softening from contact with the sizing die. This will yield a BHN of about 22 to 30

Next apply gas checks if required and lubricate. These are now ready for loading.

Either method takes about two days to reach full hardness.

NEVER GET ANY WATER INTO YOUR MELTED LEAD. THE RESULTING STEAM EXPLOSION CAN THROW THE MELTED LEAD OUT OF THE POT AND ALL OVER YOU.

I use a LEE LEAD HARDNESS TESTER to check BHN. It comes with a chart that shows you what PSI the BHN you have will withstand without leading.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

I forgot to mention, I jut recently started casting a 50 gr. .224 boolit for my 223 rifle.

It will take awhile before I can get to the range but I will post what BHN works for me.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

GunLoad Trainee

I always water drop my boolits when casting. Never had the need to test and see how hard they are. They work fine and shoot like there is no tomorrow.

GunLoad Trainee

I drop mine into water as well after pouring. I have tested them at 15-16 BHN. The alloy is WW with some tin thrown in
    Of all the things I have ever lost, I really miss my mind the most

Yep, Long blt needs faster twist. My 222 and 22-250 with 1-12 will not stablize the 60 grain cast, but my Sav 223 w/ 1-9 does very will with it.
    1Shirt!