Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nickel-plated brass

You have CCI Blazer cases. They are aluminum, Berdan primed, and non-reloadable. I have several in my collection in various calibers that, along with a few other brass Berdan primed cases, I show students so they know what not to waste their time messing with. If one has to buy factory ammo to practice with (a scary thought in itself) they're a couple bucks a box cheaper.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy
    Hey Diversifier I got a odd ball case here the other day from my son in law. There's about 12 of them with the markings: N R_CCI_38 they feel like they are made out of alumium. Any Idea who makes these? I am not even going to try and reload these. They are real light.
    Check the flashole and see if there aren't two of them in there. Suspect you have some CCI Blazer aluminum cases which are Berdan primed and not easily reloaded unless you have the correct equipment. If this is Boxer primed it should have the standard single flashole. CCI Blazer ammunition is not meant to be reloaded.

Red face Junk Cases..

Thanks Versifier & Marshall for the information. They must be CCI Blazer as they have the two flash holes in them. Something told me they were junk and not to load them. Thanks for keeping me out of trouble as I had never heard of this.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.

Berdan primed ammo is quite common with Milsurp .303,7.62 & 5.56 if made in Australia ( in the case of .303 mil surp it's near all berdan primed ) Not only is it a right royal pain in the But to De prime ,but it is a slightly larger Primer & has sent manys the young reloader to the brink of insanity /Suicide trying to reload it !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

lovedogs

All I can do is relay what I've heard from reliable sources. Everyone I have talked to here doesn't like nickel plated cases. One friend who worked for Dan Wesson told me they shoot up ammo by the 55 gal. drum-full, so they have some experience with brass. Many take their once-fired home and re-use it. He told me they gave up on both plated brass and Remington brass. All he would use is Winchester.

In my own experience I've noticed that all Remington brass, both pistol and rifle, split necks with fewer reloadings than other brands. My favorites are Winchester and Starline. I use Rem. only if it's all I can get, like when the 7-08 first came out and you couldn't get it in any other brand. Also, I've noted that even Rem. will last longer if you clean the case neck with a brush and dip it in graphite before sizing it.

GunLoad Trainee

Talking

Jeez just when I was about to throw out a zillion 9MM nickle cases I get educated! Actually I find nickly cases much easier to run through my press for reasons god only knows. Much easier to clean asa well. Because I have what right now is an unlimited supply of 9MM once fired brass I just reload it once and then toss the cases in the recycle bin.
    Yes unfortunately this 9mm brass is useless and you should send it to me to be destroyed (at your cost naturally) .

Smile Test on 357 cases

Versifier I got to give up on the Remington cases that I been testing as they now have 12 firings on them and they are still going strong. I must have run into a bad batch or something is all I can say. Our 45 leauge is getting ready to start and I am busey as a bee trying to work out some loads for three different guns. The loading pro said they were not using Rems because of the cost factor. That's all I can tell you my friend. I am going to load them till they split. Have a good day. Baldy..

Just to clarify "robertbank" is Canuck44. For some reason the software wouldn't let me register using one name and still use the chat room to two names one person.

For the record the local RCMP now are using Remington ammo for practice which I now get huge supplies of once fired 9MM Remington brass from the range. I had always read that Remington brass was sub standard. Well I have fired over 1,000 rds of reloaded Remington brass withot a hiccup. I only reload it once as I have stated and recycle it due to the volume I get. In testing loads I achieved sub "10" standard deviations with some loads using the brass. If there is something wrong with Remington brass I have not found it in 9MM cases anyway.

I am now saving the nickle brass as well for the recycle bin.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by Canuck44; 07-14-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Canuck44 are you on 1911.org too? Just nosey, thats me.

Default Baldy

Yes sir that is me or is it "I".

Yup, I think we are of common mind when it comes to posting loads etc. Glad to see the apparent demise of ClarkM on that forum. We have such a safe hobby that can go wrong easily without helping the odds along.

Take Care

Bob