Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nickel-plated brass

Dave,
    The theory is, in humid climates, handgun or rifle ammo stored in leather especially, but also in cloth loops often begin to oxidize and you end up with a band of verdegris on the body of the case that makes it difficult or impossible to chamber. Many people just leave it in the loops from one season to the next. Nickled cases don't corrode.

The handgun ammo became popular first with law enforcement as many in that line of work become lax with the maintainence of their revolvers and it sometimes became difficult or impossible to eject fired cases and reload. This cost lives.

It is not an uncommon sight even today to see would be hunters at the range to check their sights before deer season scraping off their cartridges with a pocket knife as they remove them from a belt slide and load them into their rifles. Here, as in many other places, we're likely to encounter rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, hail and miserable combinations of all of them in the course of a single day during the November deer season. Actions get soaked and so can the rounds in the magazine, worsening the problem. The steel is usually protected by a light coating of oil, but not the ammo. If a man hunts out from his back door, he might not need to unload to get into a vehicle, and just set the loaded rifle behind the door at night. In an unlucky season, the rifle may not be unloaded until more than a month has past. At one time, I used to earn a good bit post season in the weeks before Xmas undoing such things for others - removing rust, spot bluing, cleaning and relubing internal parts.

Now, I load a lot of custom hunting ammo in nickled rifle cases for friends and hunting buddies, maybe a couple hundred rounds of it every year, in .243, .30-30, .308, .30-06. We don't use it for practice or target work except to check sights, for that we buy regular cases in bulk.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Talking Greetings.

Welcome on the Board Marshall. Hope you enjoy it.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.

Smile Got Some Nickel..

Hey Versifier I didn't get down to the range like I wanted, some kin came in from up North.
    My son in law brought me over about 250 nickel cases. Only 6 or so was Remington. I loaded them all. They are 357's with 7.8gr's of 231 Winchester, 125gr bullet, win-mag primers, and OAL is 1.580". It's going to take a while to shoot through these to get a fair test on them but will try. I don't know where he got all these or how many times they been fired. Heck I never even heard of some of these.
    I am mostly interested in the Remington as that's the ones I had that I didn't have a lot of luck with. I'll say in touch on the form.

That's a interesting twist On ammo firearm corrosion ! WE have the same problem over here more so in the tropics !I have to watch my firearms due to the fact of working in all weather & at night with heavy dues ! I've found though With our ADI Powders (many of which are sold to you under the Hogdon label now ) Climate conditions do not affect pressures which has been a blessing with th tmpriture variables that I work with! I may in fact have a look at Nickle cased .223 in the near future . I as I pointed out was always let to belive that you had to use carbide dies to reload Nickle cases .This is what I like about these forums ! A Old dog can learn new tricks !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by d-o-k
    G'day & welcome to the Guide Marshal ! Dave
    G'day mate, good to join such a right nice dedicated group to learn and share experiences.

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy
    Welcome on the Board Marshal. Hope you enjoy it.
    Glad to join up with all the folks. Already know a few of you and feel downright at home.

That's great to hear Marshal . It's a great place to get together & yarn & swap info ! If one bloke dose'nt know the answer someone else will & we all benifit from it !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Jeez just when I was about to throw out a zillion 9MM nickle cases I get educated! Actually I find nickly cases much easier to run through my press for reasons god only knows. Much easier to clean asa well. Because I have what right now is an unlimited supply of 9MM once fired brass I just reload it once and then toss the cases in the recycle bin.

My question is simply can nickle brass by recycled with the nickly plating on it?

Take Care
    Bob

If you are reading this, thank a teacher; if you are reading this in English thank a veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank
    My question is simply can nickle brass by recycled with the nickly plating on it?
    The scrapyards here don't care, it's all brass to them. There's a lot of old nickle plated brass plumbing fixtures that get brought in along with mixed range brass and other scrap and they take it all. (Maybe they sell it all back to Remington... )
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Question Light cases..

Hey Diversifier I got a odd ball case here the other day from my son in law. There's about 12 of them with the markings: N R_CCI_38 they feel like they are made out of alumium. Any Idea who makes these? I am not even going to try and reload these. They are real light.