Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder containers

Default Powder containers

Last year I bought some bulk powders which came in plastic bags and cardboard boxes. These containments means are getting on my nerves...
    Have you guys had the same problem and tried something else?
    I can't get used bottles/cans from other reloaders at the time...; I thought about giving a try to degreased motor oil bottles but cannot even find trychlorethylene to start with...
    Next thing is vitamins pills jars...

Thanks in advance

kg

lovedogs

I'm not sure I'd use just any old container because gun powder has some solvents in it and I'd be concerned about how the interaction between the plastics and the powder might affect the powder. Might want to do some checking so you don't ruin your powder. Old powder containers would be my first choice, but you said you couldn't get those from anyone. If just for storage and not shipping perhaps with careful handling used glass jars would work... like mayo jars or something. Just be really careful with them.

How about canning jars? They come in 1/2pint, pint, quart, half gallon, and gallon.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Why not use bleach bottles? Liquid detergent bottles? as long as they are opaque, and have a cap gasket, they should work fine. I don't know if this is still an option, as I haven't asked in a number of years. Try your local paint store. You used to be able to buy new cans in just about any size. Quart cans were very similar to the IMR metal cans. You could go all the way up to gallon cans.
    Good Luck!
    It's the Little Things, that matter.

I believe I have read somewhere that light effects powder. For long time storage, how about painting some canning jars with black paint (on the outside) and vacuum sealing the jars. I use a vacuum sealer on Salmon eggs (cured roe) and have had them last for years in the fridge. Who did you buy surplus powder from that came in plastic bags and boxes? Think I might avoid them, unless the price was right
    krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman

Welcome to the guide Bug!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

G'day Bug & welcome to the guide

Powder don't like light that's for sure or air/moisture thats for sure! What about 1 gallon Gas tins (petrol to me ) the type that you buy empty to carry spare fuel in ? They seal up pretty well .

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

larryj

Default powder storage

You could probably store it in a empty bleach bottle because it isn't clear. I have some old AA that looks like it is in bleach bottles. I'm pretty lucky as my son shoots a lot of competion so I have lots of 5 & 8 empties laying around. You might also try those red plastic coffee cans.
    Larry

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks guys, for the welcome. I usually hang on the CB forum. Been there since the Shooters days.
    re: Larry. Well duh! I don't know why I didn't think of coffee cans. I only have a dozen or so, within sight. I don't think it would matter if it were plastic or metal.
    Also, I'm with Krag, who ships powder like that?
    It's the Little Things, that matter.

larryj

Default containers

I don't like metal containers. I've had some IMR powder in 8lb cans that rusted on the inside. I don't think it hurt the powder because I still use it. Years ago you used to get powder in plastic bags or paper containers. When I got Powder in this form I would transfer it to what ever suitable plastic I had. You see most powder is military surplus obtained from disassembled small arms.

Larryj