Thread: Hey, Toney

Default Hey, Toney

Hello, Toney, if I remember right you are in Oklahoma. I could use some information about that state if you are up to it.

In the movie 'True Grit' John Wayne is riding into the beautiful scenery of the hills, mts., and especially the scene of them closing in on the dug-out where the characters Moon and Quency were hold up. Do you know if that scenery was actually in Oklahoma or not?

I lived in the mid-southern part of the state near the Canadian river until I was 5 years old. I don't remember any terrain that looked like that movie.

Can you confirm the movie was correct in its locations or not?

Thanks, Jim

Bigbore44- I'm not sure of where the dugout scene was filmed, but the river sequences were all filmed on the Rogue River in Oregon. Hope that helps.

-SSG Klaus

Smile

The Rogue river shots were done in Oregon, but that was not the first True grit movie, it was the sequal the 2nd one they made.

I was asking about the first True grit movie they made.

Jim

Bigbore- Sorry I was thinking "Rooster Cogburn", not "True Grit"; mea culpa.

-SSG Klaus

I'm not really sure. Up here in the north east corner of the state there is a lot of hills.
    Toney Relic Hunter

lovedogs

I don't know where any of those scenes were filmed but a lot of it, especially the scene when he takes the reins in his mouth and charges the bad guys, looks like an area up by Green River Lakes, a little northwest from Pinedale, Wy. I used to hunt elk up there and it's sure beautiful.

The country where Clint Eastwood was in "Unforgiven" looks like that, also. I've often wondered where all these were filmed.

OK, I found out from some other gents on another forum by asking the same question that those scene were shot in Colorado.

Now that really ticks me off, the Indian nation is where the story takes place, it should have stuck to being filmed in that location. This gives people the wrong idea about terrain in Oklahoma...even if it is pretty scenic it has no business being in the film.

Oh well, that's show business.

Jim