Thread: Best hunting bullet for Caribou??

GunLoad Trainee

Default Best hunting bullet for Caribou??

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to which bullet(grain and type) would be best for my hunting trip I have coming up. I am hunting Caribou for the first time and wanted to know which bullet would best be fitted for the game and gun that my father and I are using. My dad is using a Remington 700 chambered in 30-06 24" barrel and I am using a .300 Weatherby Mark V 26" barrel. Could someone let me know what they would suggest would work best in both of these guns?

Welcome to the guide wthrbyman!!! 150gr bullets ought to get the job done! With the 06 any sp would do just fine, with the mag i think i would use a bonded or partition type bullet
    Toney Relic Hunter

lovedogs

I've never had the priviledge of hunting the 'boo but have friends that have. They say anything that'll handle large deer will work fine. But one consideration is that sometimes you run across a grizzly so it's a good idea to be prepared with something on the heavy side. I'd think a good 180 gr. would do in both. The Nosler 180 gr. Partition should do really well if the rifles like them.

Cool

Depends on where you are. No griz in the east, but polar bears up north. If you're not in bear country I would go with 150's or 165's, depending on which each individual rifle prefers. I like Sierras for their fine accuracy, and their manual says they will do fine at the Wby's velocities, too. Place the shots carefully with the lighter bullets and you'll be fine. If there are big bears where you're going, lovedogs has a good point and the 180 Nosler PAR's are the way to go. It is a sensible precaution to have some heavy hitters when you're in an area where there's something that considers you to be on the menu.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Default Thank you for your help

I don't know too much about the location we are going to as my dad had set up this hunt for the both of us, I do know that we are going to fly into a place called Radisson( i believe that is how it is spelled) where we will be going in about 200 miles to camp after we arrive. As far as the bear situation goes, could anyone tell me what we are/might be running into up there? Thanks again for everyone's help.

I'm assuming you're heading for Radisson, Quebec. It's up on Hudson's Bay, and depending on the time of the year, I believe that puts you on the menu as a possible polar bear entree. It's on the other side of the Bay from Churchill MB, where they do the photo shoots of the big bears, but I believe they hunt on the pack ice all over. I'd ask your guide and work up both the Nosler and Sierra loads. It's cheap insurance, and it will keep you occupied while you wait for the day to roll around.
    In Newfoundland where friends have hunted them, the shots weren't long, 100-150yds, and they went down easy like deer when hit properly. The meat was the mildest I have ever tasted and was even popular with my kids who were quite young at the time.
    Last edited by versifier; 03-27-2006 at 05:35 PM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

THank you guys for all your help with regards to what is expected up there. Do you think that withthe polar beers or so that maybe i should bring a handgun for a little added protection then? My dad and I both have S&W 500's that we could take if they are needed. ONce again thank you for all your help.
    wthrbyman

I doubt you'll be allowed to bring and carry a handgun; like for the other infos, call your guide, that's part of his job to inform you.
    Please let us know about the answers; we are told that carry permits, even in the North, are very difficult to justify, and I wouldn't be too happy to learn that visitors don't have to follow theses lines

Another thing is that handguns, specially longnosed ones, are not a first choice for defense ... for once there's a good reason why Ruger and DW make more compact models.
    Anyways your guide should have some appropriate hardware if necessary.
    Bear study teams used to have shotguns around the Bay. I don't remember who made a poll among guides in Alaska and the 338 Win was the most popular choice; ask the Bullshop gang about their advice on Bear ammo, they live there.

Well, whatever happens I wish I could tag along...

kg

GunLoad Trainee

Thank you guys very much for all this information that i have received here. It really helps out alot and is very informative. I really do appreciate this. I look forward to hearing more in the future. My hat goes off to everyone who had replied and helped
    wthrbyman

Now I got it... I found a 10 years old map of the region, with the "pourvoiries" (hunting camps).
    When you land in Quebec, ask the tourism desk for the "Grand Nord: Nunavik/Baie-James" map, so you won't fly blind... (320km = 200 miles ).

I used to know a fellow who was a guide further North (Ungava Bay I think); from the pics he showed me and his cursings about "theses !@%&*$ bow hunters who can't make a kill at all", i would second the short to medium range shooting hint.

And bring your fishing gear...

kg