Thread: Mangrove Foxes

Default Mangrove Foxes

Last night I was working a property that is right next to the sea & I was supprized when the owner of the land offered me the use of a boat When I asked if he was joking he pointed out that he has concentrations of foxes around the Mangroves along the sea front & they are very wary of vehicles yet can be shot from a boat as they have'nt worked that one out yet ! I went down along the shore & was supprised to see quite a number of foxes hunting round the Mangrove trees& was able to reduce their number by quite a few by whistleing them! I must admit though there were several areas that I was unable to get to them due to swamp & I think he may be onto something with the boat idea !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

lovedogs

What are your foxes like, d-o-k? Ours here in Montana are the plain red fox. Are they any different there? I've called them at night with a light but normally they are just sort of a bonus when I'm out calling coyotes. We used to do good selling them years ago but fur prices now are so low I don't even bother picking up the varmints I shoot. What a shame to waste all the good fur. Our coyotes are really beauties but no one is using them anymore.

WE have the common Red Fox over here which seems to have made it's way round the world ! Back in the 70-80's the prices of skins skyrocketed & most of us Pros headed out onto the Nullabour Plain during the winter to shoot as everyman & his dog went skin crazy ! The prices finarly went bust with most of the Part time Pros & there has'nt really been much of a call for shooting since then ! Mainly baiting ! A Old skinbuyer of mine was really starting to feel the pinch as it were so I took on a contract with him to get a min of 200 skins & in the hope that several of wh have long memories of him looking after us in the past will generate some fresh intrest this season

Dave

Boating and hunting too!!! you lucky dog!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

GunLoad Trainee

d-o-k, You may be on to something as I found fox and coyote far more likely to come to a call when I was on cross country skis versus when the had heard an engine in the last hour. Gianni.
    Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    Boating and hunting too!!! you lucky dog!!!
    We were going to go on a little nautical adventure last night ! It poured down thugh with a Electrical storm so I took refuge for the night with a couple of Roo shooters I know in one chaps winter camp & passed a very pleasent night ,reminising with Old friends including Bob Fisher whom we discoverd is in his 90's & has been a Pro hunter since the age of 10yrs Old when he left school & started Trapping Rabbits for a living He reckons this will be his last year of shooting for a living ,as he wants to enjoy his retirement shooting Bench rest which he discovered 20 yrs ago ! It was truely a rewarding night ! Even considering the fact that Bob was the man who got me a start in the Buffalo shooting industry & was able to reveal a whole lot to the other Blokes wh have known me for years as a vetran shooter who was always cool carm & collected (yeah well that got blown out of the water ) I was a Rabbit shooter & just learning the Roo trade when Bob talked my Parents into letting me go up North with him .I was 16yrs old so I think I was allowed to make a few little errors of judgement

Dave

lovedogs

MT Gianni,

I know what you're talking about. I used to snowshoe to hunt coyotes. Where I am now we don't get enough snow to do that often and I may be getting too old and puny to snowshoe like I used to. I still walk a mile or so before setting up to call. Here the dogs leave post haste when they hear an engine.