Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: question

The press is probably you're problem. Really need to get an iron press, i think the Lee classic press would be the way to go. If you keep looking around you can find a good used one, got my rcbs jr2 for $25 at a show in tulsa
    Toney Relic Hunter

GunLoad Trainee

yes thats what I think to the 300 ultras a good big game gun

GunLoad Trainee

its the lees aniversary press yeah its not a good press but a nice cheap learning tool for reloading

GunLoad Trainee

how do i use the chat

I do a lot of neck sizing but i always fullsize my hunting loads, you never now when you will need a reall fast reload for a follow up shot.

Last year i seen a deer wake up from a nap, had a good shot at its neck so i took it. A few seconds latter it got up and stumbled around a little bit and started walking off { i guess it was just streching after it's nap} man i wondered how the hell it got up so i shot it agian center mas to put it out DAM!!! got two!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

The master just set that up for us it has'nt been used that much, i don't type fast enough to carry on a good conversation and don't spell that good either
    Toney Relic Hunter

GunLoad Trainee

I've achived incredible groups with with my model 700 308 adl with the lees anniversary press and a neck sizing die ! Im using a 43.5 grain load with a 168 grain head, Right out of the box factory match grade. A 700 adl synthetic out of the box is a pretty good gun. Sounds like some good shooting with a touch of luck neck shots can be lethal I prefer shoulder or head depends on the situation distance shots I prefer shoulder or neck!100 yarders gotta get them in the head

In general, you can achieve a better degree of accuracy with neck sizing and a bolt action or a single shot. If the rifle feeds smoothly (my .308 and .22-250 do) there's no reason to stress your brass out by full length sizing. If I were after dangerous game, I would probably be of a different opinion, but then I'd be shooting something a lot bigger than .30cal.
    As to your press, .02 isn't a lot of play unless you are shooting bench rest. There's probably more play in the average shell holder. I load on an ancient RockChucker, but also use a Lee reloader for a priming tool and for boolit sizing, and it's plenty rugged enough to size long hard fat cast boolits without any problems. It's certainly no swaging press by any stretch of the imagination, but it's well made and the tolerances are close enough for very precise primer seating.
    Personally, I would never consider a shot at deer sized game beyond 250yds, but I have a peep sight on my .308, not a scope. Even so, that is about the maximum range for a clean kill with the bullets I use for deer hunting. The magnums might give an extra 150 yards, at least in theory, but the amount of practice needed to be able to kill cleanly at 400 yards is more than 99% of the hunters out there are going to be willing to actually do. Anyone in my experience that shoots the 200 or so rounds a week out of a magnum rifle needed to maintain such proficiency is more likely to develop a world class flinch. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that it's unlikely. The people I know who are shooting competetively at very long ranges are not using the same kinds of scopes and bullets, and are generally launching them at speeds insufficient to deliver enough terminal energy at those longer ranges to kill cleanly and humanely. "Spray & pray" just doesn't cut it with me, and I hunt small and medium sized varmints out to 400yds and am well aware of how many rounds I have to shoot to keep the edge at those ranges. It isn't what rifle/chambering you have that gives you the ability to shoot at long ranges, it's the many, many thousands of rounds fired in practice over time that gradually increases your ability to kill cleanly at progressively longer ranges, and your growing familiarity with the rifle over time so that you are not guessing at its capabilities, but being sure of them as well as your own.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by 30cal
    Do you think the model 7oo 300 winchester ultra magnum has good knock down power at 600 yards. Or should I get a 50caliber bmg.
    IF you can hit a game animal in the vitals at 600 yds, that would really be something. That's twice as far as I would shoot, and 6 times farther than I plan on shooting and 12 times farther than 90% of the game animals I have shot.
    For ME, a 600 yds shot would be unethical, no matter what bullet dia., velocity or game shot at. Besides, I like to see the "OH CRAP" look in their eyes.
    krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by 30cal
    Is anybody neck sizing only on rifle reloads or fullsizing I just neck size is that better than fullsizing
    I neck size for my bolt guns, but levers, and semiautos get full length resized.
    krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman