Thread: Conned into a night of Spotlighting

Default Conned into a night of Spotlighting

My Kids got home from School this afternoon & informed me that they want to go Spotlighting tonight ! When I replied that I was'nt feeling up to it I was informed that I had promised them the other day (& the Cook backed em up!!!!) !!!!!!

Learning curve ? Dads beware ,when your kids ask something whilst your busy ! Don't make my mistake & agree with out finding out what their talking about first !!!!

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Must be nice, here just having a spot light in you truck is enough to be in trouble .

When we were kids {not old enough to drive to town} we drove around the pasture standing in the back of the truck and tryed to shoot rabbits. Drove down county roads some to, i remember being able to go a couple of miles without passing a house.
    Toney Relic Hunter

Around here, you can hunt raccoons at night, as long as you only have a .22. If you are going out to "spotlight", you call up the game warden first, tell him who you are and where you're going to be. If you have a pistol permit, you leave it locked in the glove compartment. Any other way, you are asking for trouble and will often find it.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

WOW!!!!!!!!! Over here Spotlighting is almost a National past time for those of us who live in the bush ! To say nothing of a source of income to us Pros ! (& in my case semi retired ) But we had a good result last night ! in less than 15mins we had 3 ROOs & my claim to Fame !!!! A hare shot at 60yrds in the head (through the eye no less ) with a.22lr ,unsupported (Ok it was a lucky shot, but! The kids did'nt know that & it impressed them no end )

Before we went out last night the shooting bus recived yet another modification ! A hole in the rear of the roof about 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft so the person with the light can stand on the back seat & work the light ! (a determined man with a Angle grinder can achive anything ) My wife Tracey heard the noise walked out to see what I was doing & just shook her head & wandered back inside! She reckons that I'm the worlds Oldest Juvenille Delinqunite!!! My excuse is the Kids have been eying off my Roof mounted Spotlight which you turn from inside the cab !

The funnest part of the night was that I pointed out to the kids you shoot you Gut ! & Evin ,was gutting a Roo & managed to Burst it's gut ! Oh man one can not to be gin to discribe the smell & it seems to stick to you ! The Poor Bugger wentinto tell his mother what had Happened & got yelled at for his trouble due to the smell !

Dave

hhhssssssssssssssssss...... the things you miss by being raised in a big city.... apart from being yelled at and the occasional throwing out of course....

Old Timer

Spotlighting Roo's, what a good idea! The last time I played golf at the Anglesea Golf club, one of them was in my line and wouldn't move.

When I gave the little bastard a "nudge" with me club, the course ranger chewed my arse a bit. He reconed I should move my ball straight away, and leave the critter be! "After all, they were there first", he said.

Roo's in the way

Quote Originally Posted by Mosko
    Spotlighting Roo's, what a good idea! The last time I played golf at the Anglesea Golf club, one of them was in my line and wouldn't move.

When I gave the little bastard a "nudge" with me club, the course ranger chewed my arse a bit. He reconed I should move my ball straight away, and leave the critter be! "After all, they were there first", he said.

Roo's in the way
    Over here all Pro roo shooting is done at night as the animal is nocturnal The Tree huggers have been on at us for years saying it's cruel & in human ect ! What they can't or do'nt want to realise is the Pro shooter depends on a clean kill to make a living ! Now lets see ? License 750.00 pa ,Accreditation of vehical 250.00 pa Fuel = 1.30 per litre (5 litres to the gallon ) ,223 round =20c ,public liability insurance =2000.00 per year , Self employment ,injury /sickness insurance = 3000.00 pa
    Vehicle repair costs & up keep ? up to 5000 pa (unless you blow or have to replace a motor ,then its 14,000 up wards )! Rifle barrels 2 pa at 600 each !

Now if you gut shoot a Roo & get caught you forfit you're licence,your vehicle & cop a hefty fine for good measure, get caught shooting roos with out a permit or the correct tags for each species = 10,000.00 for each roo ! If you head shoot a roo & get a perfect brain hit the Roo does a backward summersult (very funny to the novice to see this happen ) the result is that the tail breacks & bruises the rump meat & the roo is down graded from human consumption to pet food or from .75 per kilo (roughly 2.2lbs ) to round about 24c per kilo !!!!! Hense you have to go for neck shots only ,so the max & I do mean a bloody long shot is considered 200mtrs (180 yrds ) There are blokes who boast 6oomtr shots ! But I've found these blokesare amazing in the fact that they shoot one handed as their other hand is attached firmly to their genitalier whilst pulling it !
    Yeah ! Everytime the Tree huggers come out with a Pro they go home with a slightly differant outlook on spotlighting !!!

Dave