Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Velocity is overated!

Mark do not feel bad, if you are lucky you may get to meet me. I will teach you all I know about shooting and hunting. Do not get scared it will not take long.

I am really annoyed. I found a post by a fellow named Euan from the Cast Boolits board who hunts in New Zealand. He is now using a Ruger 22 Hornet and kills rabbits by the thousands. Now I posted it saying "Hey v look at this." but I cannot find it. I thought that with your experience with the Ruger Hornet that you should read it too. I will see if I can find it.

If you make an 06 faster you just need premium ammo. I would hate to see a deer shot with a 257 Mag up close. Well you would not need much time to butcher what was left. Maybe then I would change to head shots.
    This thread caused me to think more than a little. The speed of your rifle should be affected by the range of your shots. My long shots on deer are 250 yards. My 06 is perfect at 2800 to 2900 feet per second. Mark shoots muchfarther so desires or should I say needs more speed. A magnum to him is like my 06 or even my 30 30 to me. I once bought a 300 Weatherby magnum but thought it was overkill and xcessively noisey so sold it. Never had a twinge of longing since. I sold my 356 Winchester and regrtted it almost the next day. Why? Because it suited my style of hunting.

Mark I just found it in "Cast Bullet Talk.". Check it out please.

If you think that velocity does not count look at an old Bruce Lee movie. He was never strong he was fast. Shame that he died so young.

Hey where would my little 17 HMR be without speed? Nowhere thats where. A 22 short weighs more.

Do I want my 06 to go faster for the deer hunting I do? Why? It has killed everything I shot it at, well too.
    Last edited by j1; 05-02-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Speed is completely unimportant if you miss.
    Accuracy is number one then comes speed. Adequate bullet weight has got to go in there someplace. My 17 HMR is far from an elk or deer gun in my book.
    Last edited by j1; 09-04-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Tough question. Got a 17 HMR and it kills very well. The bullet only weighs 17 grains also. Kills with speed.

Why do you say that fast does not kill better. Hitting beats missing every time.