Thread: What can I do w/Green Dot powder???

GunLoad Trainee

Default What can I do w/Green Dot powder???

I find my self w/two new 4# containers of Green Dot. I no longer reload shot shells as my shooting partner wife had a stroke & lost considerable of her vision, she must shoot lefty after 50 years of righty, plus she cant see the flying targets soon enuff, many times not at all.

I do not reload pistol calibers. I do reload 7.7Jap., .308, 30-06, 6.5 Swede, 30-30, 30-40 Krag., 8Mauser, 45-70 for Gatling........and probably some more that I am just not remembering at this moment.

My older Lyman & newer IMR reloading manuals do not list any rifle calibers for Green Dot...at least that I can find.

What can I do with it???

What would you do with it???

Selling it locally is iffy, most of the shooters I know that would have use for it would expect to pay $20.00 for the 2 containers & that aint happening on my watch!!!!

PJH

GDOT is used in rifles for cast bullet loads.

Get yourself a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook for tons of data. There are loads using GDOT for all of the rifle cartridges you have listed. If you aren't into casting (yet) go next door to CB and follow the link to The Bull Shop for the best selection of custom cast bullets at very reasonable prices.

Don't waste time or money ordering commercial cast rifle bullets, they are CLUELESS as to size, lube, and alloy, unless you really need the upper body exercise scrubbing lead fouling out of your barrels. But that might put you off to shooting cast, and it's too much fun to pass up.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Hmmmmm.... Versifier.......thanx for the response!!!!!

Most of my reloads, except the obvious ones, are machine gun fodder. I did have a private party make me up 10,000 hard lead, "wont lead your barrels", .45ACP for use in Thompsons...........they promptly leaded the barrel, I still have 10,000 minus 100 I did shoot. Someday I will have to redo them.

I have many thousands of pulled military bullets & machine guns simply dont care. As to the non-machine gun calibers, I have hundreds of regular brass/lead bullets too. At 72, I am looking to dispose of this stuff.....preferably by shooting.......rather than add a process: casting bullets. I am in somewhat a delimma about getting a .50cal reloader, again adding a proceedure, because I have hundreds of empties & thousands of bullets. She & I can shoot MG's until the cows come home with what I have & she can sell the rest, hopefully, not much.......at estate time. I will certainly run out of the 16#s of IMR #4895 that I have long before I use up anywhere near the bullets I already have.

If I cant use the powder for the bullets I already have, then I will have to take some other route. Maybe trade them for #4895 or ??? at a gun show....... PJH

nice foto's ( thanx for sharing !!! )
    green dot is sadly rather limited , should work pretty good in a tommy gun tho ( with either cast or jacketed ) gun shows are kind of iffy , if it's been opened any dealer would have to say no ( liability etc ) worse it's about impossible for us ( mere civilians ) to ship powder and when we can find some one who can it has a heavy tariff , craig's list around here is pretty anti gun ( much like flea bay ) and the best is always a local sale/trade , i'm not sure what the details are for selling powder on armslist.com but they do have local sections/postings
    as for the so hard never lead 45 boolits ....usually the 45 does best with a softer alloy but with either proper sizing is imperative ,too small will lead , too small and too hard wont expand the base to seal and again will lead the barrel , may have better luck running at top velocities/pressure or it could also be worse ( if they are indeed THAT hard ) hardness is one of the biggest perpetuated myths about cast boolits it seems , there is half truths to that but as a general fit is the most important
    soz to hear about the loss of the shooting partner, i had to learn to shoot left handed but i was fortunate in one way that it was long ago , i hope she still enjoys the loading and watching others shoot !

GunLoad Trainee

Shooting partner is still adept at mounted belt feds.......of course, anyone else would be too. She can tuck a sub-gun under her elbow & go with it.

But nothing that even has a pretense of using sights. PJH

you can use that green dot in pistol calibers easily enough, but for the full auto stuff it is just too fast [burn rate] and don't have enough gas volumn to make the autos work [except the acp]