Thread: A dumb question from an old gunner

Banned

Default A dumb question from an old gunner

deleted.................
    Last edited by beekeeper; 10-14-2011 at 05:39 PM.

The danger is possible damage to the rifle's crown if the person running the rod isn't aware. Most bore protectors I have seen are designed to go into the breech to keep solvents out of the action, but maybe there is something out there that will help when you have to clean from the muzzle. There are lots of rifles that must be cleaned from the muzzle, though most of them are not bolt actions, and we learn to live with them just fine. Just be careful as you pull the rod in and out to keep it centered in the bore and wipe it down between passes.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Wise

I have a lille brass doohickey that looks like a truncated cone. it will fit into most muzzles and will protect the crown. After all,how did they clean all those Winchester lever actions? Couldn't do it from the breech. I bought two of them at a gun show from a vendor that was selling cleaning supplies. They're made of brass so can't hurt the crown.
    The big problem from cleaning from the muzzle is wearing out the rifling near the muzzle rather than damaging the crown. That little brass gizmo insures that the rod does not touch the rifling.
    The only thing is if you don't have a padded vice to hold the gun, you're gonna need three hands or a willing helper.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

the muzzle protector , just think about the winchester 94 .... there is only two ways to clean it , one , with a newer bore snake ( which they didnt have in 1894 ) or from the muzzle ,

Oh, but they had strings and lead and rags. I've cleaned many firearms that way when I was younger... put a splitshot on one end of the string and tie a patch to the other, and it worked similar to a boresnake...
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

Clean is always good as long as you do not damage the muzzle area.