Thread: Shooting rest

Banned

Default Shooting rest

I have a Stony point rest now
    It is OK but I was wanting to either make it better or get a new (different ) one.
    Was wondering about changing the top by putting ears on it to hold the bag more securely similar to the Sinclair one ( which I can't afford).
    Was wondering what others have done to make their rest better?

beekeeper

It really depends on what you are using the rest for. If your primary use is for varmint hunting, often just a stack of sandbags with a rear bag, or just a long "X" bag will do the trick. If you want to do a lot load testing, something solid but adjustable works better. If you are a hard core long distance paper puncher, then things can get really elaborate. How much recoil you have to contend with is another factor (i.e. do you need a Lead Sled?).

I do mostly 50, 75, & 100yd cast bullet testing and for that I use an old Outers Varminter rest for rifles (needs no rear bag) with a Pistol Perch attachment for my handguns. It pivots for windage and has a knurled adjustment for elevation. I find it much easier to use than the pillar-with-bag type rest you are talking about. Not everyone is comfortable with a setup like that though, so I also keep a long "X" bag in the trunk. At the range we keep a bunch of sand filled rice or shot bags and folks stack them front and back to whatever seems a comfortable height. There is a Lead Sled in the clubhouse for those who need it, but I don't usually shoot anything so abusive that a Past Magnum can't handle it with my regular rest.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Banned

Like you I only shoot 50,100,and 200 yard s using lead.
    The stony point works good enough except the front rest slides a little from side to side on the rest sometimes and can get a little agrivating sometimes.
    The guy who sits at the bench next to me uses a Sinclair rest and laughs at my frustration sometimes.
    Thought I would try to make mine a little stouter, ie deeper bag , fence on each side of bag similar to his and see if it helpes me out any.
    At my age and bad eyes I need all the help I can get.

beekeeper

45-70 Levergun Fanatic Old Ranger's Avatar

Default I guess I'm not too high-tech

Man you guys are doing alot better than this old man. My range is in my back woods and all I have for a rest to test loads is a folding chair and the ground. I just plop my backside in the dirt. Nestle myself behind my weapon. Rest it in my offhand on top of a folded up guncase and fire away. But at lest I have fun

I hope you find a solution to getting your rest firmed up and you on target better. There's nothing more frustrating than not being on target like you want.

Wade
    You can never have enough rounds! Keep reloading!

GunLoad Trainee

I have the Shooters ridge steady point. My only complaint was when I filled the bag with shot, kind of a PITA. But for the money great rest. Sturdy with fine adjustments for elevation and wind age.

I looked at the Lead sleds; I do most of my shooting solo. And the Shooters ridge is lighter and with the turn of a locking knob, the rest folds flat for easy carrying or storage.
    With sand bags on the bottom tray, recoil on my 338 and 3006 are very acceptable.
    I bought mine a few years back from Mid south shooters, it was just under $100.00 at that time.