Thread: Foaming bore cleaners

GunLoad Trainee

Default Foaming bore cleaners

Anybody have experience with any of the foaming bore cleaners ? I've tried the Break Free brand foaming cleaner and was not impressed with it's copper removal. It took some out, but further Sweets 7.62 applications were needed to finish the job. Sweets took much more copper out of the barrel before it was down to bare metal. The Break Free was very expensive and I'm looking for others experience with the any of the other brands before I decide to buy or not to buy.
    Thanks.

Mike

I use the Outers brand. It's not the most expensive out there, and may not be the "best", but i'll let it sit in my bore for about 30 minutes, then brush and scrub and do the regular cleaning procedure whit Hoppes #9 and Kroil. The results are fine.
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

you gotta wait for the foamy stuff to work.
    i tried it too and didn't wait.
    now i let it sit for a while then clean it out and push the ammonia through the bbl.
    i did make it so i didn't have to clean copper out of 90% of my rifle and 100% of my handgun bbls by simply shooting nothing but cast boolits through them.
    i rarely if ever push a cleaning rod through anything anymore.

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you gotta wait for the foamy stuff to work.
    i tried it too and didn't wait.
    now i let it sit for a while then clean it out and push the ammonia through the bbl.
    i did make it so i didn't have to clean copper out of 90% of my rifle and 100% of my handgun bbls by simply shooting nothing but cast boolits through them.
    i rarely if ever push a cleaning rod through anything anymore.
    About how long did you wait? I waited 30 minutes the first application and 90 minutes on the second with the Break Free foam. After that I used some Shooters Choice, figuring that it was now just a few quick passes to finish it off, and got blue on the first patch thru. I had to use Sweets for several more passes and let them sit for 15 minutes each. A lot of blue on the first two patches until about the 5th one came out neutral. A few passes with Shooter's then finished it.. This is a Remington 308 long range target(retired LEO sniper) rifle that I was cleaning and it gets j-bullets exclusively. I've got a 30-06,30-30 and a 7.62x54 that are my dedicated cast rifles and as you know there certainly is no issue there. Fact is about the only cleaning they get is with a damp patch, a few passes, and then put away. And even that is only occasionally. I was reading on a another forum that a product, Wipeout?, is a good one. I'm not familiar with it, must be relatively new. I've let myself get into a rut and have not kept up with the most recent cleaning products. Most of the stuff I use is from the 80's when I bought tremendous amounts in bulk and am just now starting to run out. I shot benchrest thru the early 80's till about 1998 and had,literally, gallons of the stuff stashed away. Thanks for your input.

Mike

i use the gunslick brand it comes out the bbl blue.
    i put the bbl muzzle down on the floor on some rags and let it build up a bit of pressure in the bbl.
    i just let it sit for a while and do something else.
    then push through some patches.
    and follow with a couple of sweets and let sit for 5 or so minutes and do the normal patch and oil.
    the only bbl that leaves anything in it is my 7x57 i.c.l 40* shoulder. with a douglas 5r rifled bbl that has a bit of chatter right near the muzzle.
    it tends to shoot better after some fouling [no surprise there] is one of my most accurate rifles, which is really surprising as it is built on a win push feed with a light contour bbl,
    and is my go to hunting rifle so it's a bit beat up.
    but it does have a sweet trigger.

45-70 Levergun Fanatic Old Ranger's Avatar

Never tried the foam products. Shooting only cast for several years now. But when using jacketed stuff some years ago, the foam was not around. Then the only thing that would get the copper out was a combination of good 'ole Hoppe's #9 and a touch of kerosene now and then. Gosh, guess I'm really old school huh?

To pull lead from my bigbore now I use Remington 40X bore cleaner and it does a fair job when I shoot light rounds that lead up my piece. I've given up on those light loads anyway as they cause leading, have a trajectory of a mortar, and don't kill hogs too well!

Look forward to seeing how you fair with the quest for the righ foam cleaner. I know nothing about them....

Wade
    You can never have enough rounds! Keep reloading!

Kerosene is part of the Hoppes #9 formulation....
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

Got one a couple of years ago. Pepsodent tooth powder and gun oil. Makes the bore bright and shiny. Dry patches and oil barrel.