Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Wooden Loading Blocks

Default Nice Wooden Loading Blocks

For those of you who hate the plastic ones, I am exploring the idea of either producing myself or having one of the local cabinet shops produce several runs of wooden loading blocks in fancy and/or exotic hardwoods out of the scraps left over from fine furniture jobs. Usually they are just used for kindling.

These are the sizes I'm thinking about:
    Small:
    50 hole for small HG cases, .30carb, .223, etc.
    Regular:
    10, 20(4x5 and 2x10), & 50 hole for -06 and similar head size rifle and pistol cases.
    Large:
    10?, 20(4x5 or 2x10), & 50 hole for .44mag, .45-70, Mags, etc.

I like using 10 & 20 hole blocks when I'm testing powders and bullets or just want to do a box of rifle rounds as they are much handier than the big 50rd ones, and nobody sells anything like that. I also like to have handles on the sides of the blocks so they are easier to drop charges into, and nobody has anything like that, either.

Given that they will be all hand produced, there will be some labor involved, but I'm not out to make a killing on them, just to offer something a lot nicer looking than what's available commercially. I like working with nice looking, well made tools and I have been making my own for years, and occasionally for others when they see mine and start drooling. I haven't started asking around yet, just wanted to find out how much interest, if any, there would be here and on the other forums I belong to.

What do you think? Thoughts, ideas, and comments appreciated. Any woodworkers among us who might want to get involved is cool, too.

I will post some pictures of the prototypes soon.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

i've been known to make alot of 60 and 100 holers , 60 is perfect for a 50 round box of brass and the 100's i use for spray lubing , to give you a few ideas read this thread i posted long ago on another forum

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum99/9963.html

one can make them mild to wild and even custom wood and finishes if they desire , as for mass production - whether you do it or a shop does it making a jig to lay out the holes would be best and helps keep them uniform , for one or just a few it isnt really necessary

Here's a photo of the first prototypes.
    "Stand your ground.

Here are some from the first run. These are 20rd rifle blocks for cases with standard -06 head size (.30-30's will fit, too). The Longs are mahogany, the squares are walnut and curly maple.
    Last edited by versifier; 05-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    "Stand your ground.

Here are 10rd Rifle in mahogany and a 50 rd Rifle in wenge.
    "Stand your ground.

Prices are as follows:

10rd Rifle (Standard for -06 head diameters, and Large for Magnums)
    $7 each or sets of FIVE for $30 plus shipping

20rd Rifle (Standard and Large as above, Square or Long)
    $10 each plus shipping

50rd Rifle or Handgun (Small for .30carb/.223, Standard and Large as above, and Short for pistol cases .380 - .45ACP)
    $15 each plus shipping

I will also make them up in custom sizes and configurations, and I will also do them using your wood if you have a really nice block and it's large enough.
    Hole sizes are 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8", blocks are 1" thick except for Short Handgun which are 5/8" thick. Widths vary with the design and hole size. Standard spacing is 1/8", but they can be made with wider spacing for those with arthritic fingers.

I will ship in USPS Priority Flat Rate Boxes: Small $5, Medium $11
    I can do UPS if I have to, but it will cost extra for boxes, packing, etc.

I will accept postal MO's only to start with, PM me for mailing address and contact info.
    There's no way to predict what kinds of wood will be available in specific sizes at any given moment, the best I can do is email before shipping to let you know what I have in stock when you order.
    "Stand your ground.

Are you still making these??? They look very nice!! I would like a 50 round block..5/8" holes x 1"+ thick. And also a 20 rounder in the same. I like the darker colors of wood (just cause they don't show dirt as bad) but the curly maple looks great too.
    Last edited by freedom475; 02-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Gun Leather.. www.7xleather.com

I am not doing any at the moment, but I still have a ton of 10's and 20's in various sizes. They are all made from donated scrap - when custom furniture is selling well for local craftsmen, then I get lots of cutoffs and scraps.

I do have a piece of plain rock maple just big enough for a 50 that I am willing to make up for you. (3/8" is for .30carb/.223 and 9mm/.380.)

In stock right now I have 10's in that size in red maple and 20's in a beautiful close grained very dark red hardwood that I have been unable to identify.

PM me if you are interested and we can work out details.
    "Stand your ground.

GunLoad Trainee

could you make one to hold .22 LR for range blocks. blocks holding 50 or 100? and how much would it cost me. it doesn't have to be exotic wood. simple unfinished maple, oak, or walnut. ill laser engrave it and the stain it or clear coat it.

Yes, I could and would. $15 + shipping. What shape, 10x10, 5x20? Hole spacing? Noses up or down? Most of the scraps I have are fairly nice and I still have a good selection of smaller ones. They all come oiled, waxed & polished.
    "Stand your ground.