Thread: RCBS 357/38 Special Carbide Die Set RELOADING 64897

GunLoad Trainee

Default RCBS 357/38 Special Carbide Die Set RELOADING 64897

I am new to reloading and am wondering if it is just a bad idea to buy this used and save a little while i am learning. also is it worth getting the carbide set for a newbie

carbide sets are nice to have for straight walled cases.
    you can cut down on the lube used.
    i lube about one in six- ten and leave the cases dirty, it helps them size easier.

Carbide sizers just make life easier. Too bad they only work for straightwall cases. If anyone ever invents a die for bottle neck cases that doesn't need lube, they should pin a medal on him(her).

No reason not to buy them used, but make sure they have everything they're supposed to. There should be three different seater plugs (RN, SWC, & WC) and most important a spacer bushing (looks like a large washer) so you can switch back and forth between .38spec and .357mag cases without readjusting neck expander and seating dies. Do check out the sizer, though. Carbide inserts in the bottom of the sizer die are much more brittle than you'd believe and one drop onto a concrete floor cand chip or even shatter them - I have seen some used die sets for sale at shows that were not usable. The decapping rod should be unbent and the pin and its holder undamaged. Beware if the dies show any rust that indicate they may have not been stored properly, too.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

thank you both for your replies.

GunLoad Trainee

i bought some use die and like versifier said just made sure they didnt have rust, or any other domage to the dies, the dies i bough where steel not carbide, to fancy for me at this time lol. We also bought some bullet pullr hammers use one was in very good condition while the others was not, oh well .

GunLoad Trainee

Carbide dies are definately the way to go. I'm also going to recommend you get a can of Hornady One Shot Case Lube. Case lube isn't required on carbide dies, but it'll greatly reduce your lever effort and unlike some case lubes, One Shot won't foul your powder.
    As far as used dies go, feel free to buy used.
    GH1