Thread: Reloading newbie

GunLoad Trainee

Default Reloading newbie

I'm about to reload for the first time i'm having a hard time finding all the components to macth what i want to do . I'm reloading a 7 MM Rem mag. I have Winchester cases 4831 imr powder Hornady 154 gr interlocks i have a Hornady reloading manual but it's with hornady or Frontier brass , book show Win. large Mag primers How important is it to macth the brass or can i start at the regular load and work up????

hornady brass usually has slightly less capacity than winchester does if you start at the low end and work up you will be fine.
    make sure your brass will feed and close in your rifle after sizing.

mikanator
    I don't know what you have for a reloading book but one of the best out there is the Lee Reloading book it is cheap in price and has a thousand plus dollars worth of information.
    I have reloaded for 38 years and a couple years ago a fellow bought me the book for a birthday present. Well I started reading it and before I knew it I had read it all and the tables in it are second to none. He lists a lot more powders than most of the reloading books do how to figure out reduced loads and the learning curve just goes on and on.
    I think the book was 10 or 12 bucks and alot of it was old hat common sense but there was a ton of great information in there for all loaders. Money invested.

Good Luck and be safe.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

starting at the start charges is a safe way to allow for alot of variables , also it is also listed in every manual , hodgdon usually has data online as well , some manuals never list the brass or the primer and some list everything to minute detail , i've only found one gun where the listed start charge was too much and by paying attention i knew something was wrong ( that ended up being the gun at fault btw )
    as stated having many manuals is never a bad thing and it allows us to cross reference and double check ( one can never have too much data )

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    mikanator
    I don't know what you have for a reloading book but one of the best out there is the Lee Reloading book it is cheap in price and has a thousand plus dollars worth of information.
    I have reloaded for 38 years and a couple years ago a fellow bought me the book for a birthday present. Well I started reading it and before I knew it I had read it all and the tables in it are second to none. He lists a lot more powders than most of the reloading books do how to figure out reduced loads and the learning curve just goes on and on.
    I think the book was 10 or 12 bucks and alot of it was old hat common sense but there was a ton of great information in there for all loaders. Money invested.

Good Luck and be safe.
    Ken.
    I have been reloading for over 30 years , and I agree 100% , if you are just getting started , (get a book)

Tom .

Pegasus1

I also would suggest using magazine articles specific to your caliber, sometimes they are more suited to your firearm.