Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Recommendations

Old Timer

In my opinion, all the posts above here are true and as correct as can be! I actually have an old Bonanza press from back in the 40's sometime that belonged to my dad. I learned to reload on it myself.

But with the progressive press discussion, I have seen many people discuss them like "progressive" is the only thing they do! I have a Dillon 550b, and have NEVER used it progressively. I use it like 4 single stage presses at times, and as a single stage most of the time.

For instance, the sizing die can be installed only. Brass inserted at position #1, are sized, de capped and primed. As another is loaded, the finished pieces work themselves out the other end.

Then if you get into forming brass for odd calibers from parent cases, four dies can be added, one to each station to partially expand or reduce the brass from one stage to another.

I think the progressive press has so many varied uses. And as I said I have never used it for progressive volume loading. It's too easy to make a mistake, or have a powder metering malfunction. I simply don't trust the progressive operation with anyones press.

Tranch, this is probably posted too late to be of any help, but here's my idea on your question. I had heard how much money you can save by loading your own. I started on a Lee Hand Press kit, many years ago. I learned how to reload on it. Used it for a long time but it hurt my hand after a few hundred rounds so I got me a Lee single stage press, and a primer feed for the Ram Prime that came in the old hand press kit. I learned more about the reloading process (most important was not to drink beer while you're reloading) and got me a Lyman T-Mag press and all the whistles and bells I could put on it. Then I was rolling! By then, I had 4 presses and a bench full of other stuff I needed. Then I got a got a Dillon 550-B and a MEC 650 and some more stuff I need in addition to the other stuff I had. I really don't know what my investment is, at this time, but what ever it is, it's worth every penny! Reloading is some of the best therapy around. A few years ago, The Warlord ask me how much money I've saved. I told her that I saved the price of a case of beer every time I sit down at the bench.

To end this ramble; if I had it to do all over, I'd do it the same way...start with a single stage press, learn to reload and then get a progressive press. JMHO
    Good luck with your endeavor. JB

I learned to load at the age of 7 with a hole in a bench! I would decap the primer with my lee hand press, and then seat the new primer with a lee auto prime, and then push a pellet into the 22 hornet case with no powder. I learned to use use the single stage press the next year. I learned on a RCBS rock chucker, and never used any thing else until i got my own press last year. I got a RCBS reloader spl 3, single stage, and I still use it today. I have never loaded with a progressive, except for the shot gun loader, and with that I use 1 shell at a time, and when I turn on the powder I forget to turn it off, so I get the bench covered with powder, and will not touch the thing for three months.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

All good advise. My $.02.....you are either going to love it, become addicted, and spend a small fortune, or you will lose interest and the gear will gather dust and get kicked in the corner. Start cheap and basic. Once you've decided if you like it or not, all your cheap basic gear can be passed down, or sold at a garage sale.

I still have the first Lee loader that got me heavily involved nearly 40 years ago. It's stored in a 400 square foot room FULL of handloading and casting equipment.

lovedogs

Don't know Versifier but he sounds like a wise old sage. All good advice here though. R-E-A-L-L-Y important is that part about looking into each case before stuffing a bullet into it. Have a good friend of many years experience who got in a hurry and neglected to do that recently. He got a double charge of 2400 in his once nice Marlin 1895. When he touched it off it rained steel and walnut for a while. They never found more than a few splinters off the forearm, the barrel is now a trough, he's missing the end of one of his fingers, and it took 13 stitches to close the top of his thumb. He was darn lucky. It could have been much worse. Look into those cases... and only keep one can of powder open at a time on your bench!

I'm not trying to scare or discourage you in any way. Making our own is lots of fun and very rewarding. But you have to always be safe and careful... even if you've been doing this for decades. Don't allow familiarity to breed contempt. Have fun and be safe!

GunLoad Trainee

Here is my .02. I have been reloading for a while now,and one of my rules for safe reloading is to use a powder with a loading density that is more than 50% of the case capacity. Can't double charge a round........Be safe.........Jim

lovedogs

That's a good idea, Rambo. But in the real world it isn't always possible. Some calibers it just doesn't work out well. Some that come to mind are some of the old cartridges designed to work with black powder that we now often use smokeless in. One of my .45-70's is that way. When I use a powder of the right burning rate it doesn't use up 50% of capacity. But if one were to double charge it would be easily noted if you looked into the case.

Your idea was fine as far as it goes but for some of us it just doesn't work out that way. Still a good idea to load a whole tray and peek into each case under good light. And never have more than one can of powder on the bench at a time. Just a few helpful ideas to keep us out of trouble.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Best advise

You can find dozens of opinions on which presses to buy but I believe the best advise you just got about reloading is.... THIS

BUT, the most important things to start out with are at least two (and four is better) current loading manuals like Sierra, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, etc

GunLoad Trainee

Tranch, I'm back in reloading after a 40 year absence from it. I've read many posts in the last few months on equipment, dies and etc. From my reading, I've come to the conclusion that asking what brand of reloading equiptment to use is like asking what caliber is best for white tail deer hunting and etc. Everyone has their opinion. But there seems to be a general consensus that RCBS is a high quality product with a good warranty and factory service. So, if you want a cadillac buy their products. If you are happy with a Ford, use Lee products. All of them will get you there. Personally, I bought the Lee anniversary press and dies to save money and so far I've been happy with Lee. But, then I'm happy reusing the Lyman Ideal handloading 310 tong and dies for my 30-06 that I bought 40 years ago.

larryj

Default reloading presses

The type of reloading press you buy should go right along with the volume of rounds that you want to reload. If you plan to shoot lots of pistol ammo go with the progressive or semi-progressive press. Pistol ammo can take up to 4 different dies or stages to load where as rifles only take 2. Over the years i've loaded ammo on one of the lee starter kits(this didn't last long), an RCBS jr press, dillon 450, 2 dillon 550's and now I use a dillon 1050 to load my pistol ammo.(38/357/40 s&w and 38super.
    I my humble opinion you can't go wrong with any of Dillon's equipment. I use RCBS single stage presses where all that were avaiable in my neck of the woods.
    The one thing that you need to remember is to buy the best that you can afford because it costs twice as much to do it over.
    Larry