Thread: Hornady bullets

Default Hornady bullets

A hunting buddy of mine tried Hornady's Superformance ammo in two different rifles a semi-auto 338 Win and a bolt 30-06 accuracy suffered terribly in both. He was told hornady makes some bullets smaller in dia. than other manufcturers and this could be the cause of inaccuracy. Has anyone heard of this smaller dia. bullets? I have several types and sizes of hornady bullets and they all measure the correct dia. for caliber in fact all the brands I have measure correct for caliber.
    I have a plan

Grunt

I have not shot Hornady ammo but have always had great results when reloading their bullets. Currently I am using their 180 SST in a OLD Remington Model 740 and have shot sub MOA groups and they have worked very well on two Michigan whitetails.

making their bullets undersized wouldn't help them go fast it would slow them down.
    now the lever revolution brass is shorter in some of the cases.
    and this was probably the original story.
    anyways most guns do not get thier best accuracy at max velocity, but speed sells regardless of how it shoots.
    thinking back out of the 100 or so rifles i have owned, i can only recall one [ a win 7mm short mag] that done it's best at near max speed.
    and only one [ an old mossberg 270] that liked a long jump to the lands for best accuracy.

GunLoad Trainee

I love Hornady bullets so well that awhile back i picked up a box of lever revolution ammo. I think runfiverun is correct in that speed sells, I could not keep it on the paper at 100 yards. First factory ammo I have used in over 10 years and it will be the last, if it dont come out of my back room, I dont shot it.

I've never fired a round of Hornady ammunition, I build my own using Hornady bullets. When I started hand loading rifle ammo 50 years ago I started with Hornady bullets 'cuz they were the cheeeeeepest in the shop. I have used Speer, Sierra and Hornady bullets in load development for probably 200 different cartridges over the years. I found, all other things being equal, that it was easier and faster to find the right load (speed, accuracy) using Hornady bullets than any other brand. Sierra wasn't far behind and Speer was a distant third. That doesn't mean that Hornady bullets performed well on impact, just that they were easier to find an accurate load with. I still use a lot of Hornady bullets for terminal use but I also use the others.

Dunno about Factory loads, but I have a Savage model 12 that will put the 168 grain A-Max bullets in the same hole all day long @ 200 yards..
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

Man over the years I have shot quite a bit of Hornady but then I was the fella that assembled them into cartridges.
    I don't think that there is a brand out there that hasn't had trouble with a new product. My Daddy always use to say never buy the first year model of a new car design wait a year or two and see what they have for problems.
    I would notify Hornady for sure and let them know what they are doing and what you don't like about them. They will get back to you if they have any customer relations at all.
    I am sure they don't want a product that is going to hurt their reputation.

my two bits Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

GunLoad Trainee

I have only used Hornady bullets, until I couldn't find any in the cal/wt that I load, so I bought my own swaging set up and create 150gr rebated boattail bullets with a 8S ogive.... I need to get another profile, and am looking at either an 1E or a 1.5E ogive so I can do something different for my 30-30 bullets. Currently I use a 3/4E, and do a hollow point.. Haven't killed anything but paper with it..

I have always liked Hornady bullets.. what I did use was the PSP's, and the RN's in the 150 gr wt.. Never a problem...