Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good 30-06 Load

GunLoad Trainee

Default Good 30-06 Load

Hey I am new to reloading and would like to know if you guys could recommend a good powder bullet combo to start with. Thnks

Reloading Fanatic!

I just started reloading for the 30-06 myself. I would recommend picking up the Hodgdon Reloading magazine or checking out their website. I had really good luck with Varget and WIN 760, but there are many loads to choose from. Any good 150 grain bullet would be good to start with, and I have had great luck with Hornady.

i'm assuming for general shooting and whitetail hunting.
    the hornady 150 at 2800 fps is hard to beat in either case.
    the powder you use will be whichever one you have the best access too.
    i like rl-19.
    it don't meter well and needs to have each load weighed out but the results are worth it.

Wink

out of my rem 700 30.06 I have had the best moa with 180gr. bullets, sierra spitzer boattail 2160 and the hornady interlock btsp 3072.
    IMR 4350 powder. 50.7 gr. 2500 fps. wlr primers.
    taken 3 deer in Alabama this season
    300winmag
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your edlers will teach you WISDOM.
    Thanks
    300winmag

Mine likes 47 grains of Varget with a 180 gr. GameKing.
    I've since had it rechambered to a 30/06 A.I., but it still prefers the heavy bullets.

IMR 4350 is a great powder also, but it's a bit more recoil that I care to subject myself to. I want to enjoy what I'm doing. I'll leave the big boomers to my son. He likes the 340 Weatherby mags and such..
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

GunLoad Trainee

In my Winchester 70 in 3006 I use IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 with Win primers and Hornady bullets.

The 30 cal 308 dia 220 grain has slammed down 4 moose up here in the far north.

I've also used Nosler partition 180 grain. The Moose were not huge all under or around 1000 or 900 lb range. Shots were all 80 to 160 yards in sub zero weather. Will drop black bears just fine too.

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i'm assuming for general shooting and whitetail hunting.
    the hornady 150 at 2800 fps is hard to beat in either case.
    the powder you use will be whichever one you have the best access too.
    i like rl-19.
    it don't meter well and needs to have each load weighed out but the results are worth it.
    +1 on RL19 with 150gr. bullets in the '06! All my bolt guns love it, and it's well worth the little bit of extra effort to load.

For 180gr. I like H4350.
    Last edited by oldhickory; 01-13-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Grunt

I have used imr-4350 and 180 gr bullets in 06 since 1973 for shooting and deer. I have used a LOT of other loads also but that is a good powder/weight combination. Currently I am using Hornady SST bullet they seem very accurate and kill deer quickly.

It would help if you stated you guns primary use.

GunLoad Trainee

I USE A 700 IN 30/06 GOOD LOAD 52.5 gr. IMR 4064 150gr. SIERRA SPBT...

LOUIS M

Wise

I haven't used a 30-06 in years. There's nothing wrong with it but I just got tied up playing with a whole bunch of different cartridges. When I shot tht the 30-06 almost on an exclusive basis though, I settled on two bullets; the 180 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter or the 180 gr. Nosler partition. Both loads were worked up to give the same point of impact at 200 yards and either was close enough to take deer out to 400 yards. Powder was the milsurp Hodgden 4831. I quit using lighter weight bullets as they tore up too much good eating meat. The Sierras are soft enough to open on deer yet not so much that they act like a grenade. Dunno how they would work on Whitetails but they were just fine on big Nevada and Arizona Mule Deer.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.