Thread: What Powder Loads for the 6.5mm Swedish Cruise Missile ?

Default What Powder Loads for the 6.5mm Swedish Cruise Missile ?

I just acquired a 6.5mm Swedish and had a LEE 6.5 170 grain mold to make what is
    called "The Cruise Missile".

I just started using the Gas Checked Cruise Missile in my Carcano Carbine at 0.268
    with 25 grains of Reloader 15 in Privi Partizan Brass and Remington Primers.

I cannot find what powder and grains is being loaded into the Swedish Mauser round, however...

It would sure be nice to have folks start listing what they have had success with so
    everyone can come here and find out what works in the 6.5mm Swedish.
    (and maybe in the 6.5mm Carcano also)

DoctorBill
    Last edited by DoctorBill; 10-01-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Welcome to the Guide DrBill.

I haven't started testing it yet, but these are my test ladders, based on powders I have on hand:

2400 13-17gr
    4895 26-30gr
    RL22 36.5-40.5
    UNQ 9-11gr
    860 45-48gr

Go next door to Cast Boolits and search "Cruise Missile" and you will find a lot of good info and plenty of data for other powders. www.castpics.net has info, too.

Most any powder will work for a cast load, though with many you are sailing off the map. If you can find jacketed data for a bullet the weight you want, then you can figure out reduced loads yourself provided that it is a medium capacity (not a magnum) case and you use extruded or flake (not sperical) powders.

JMAX - JSTART = Difference
    JSTART - Difference = CAST START
    Last edited by versifier; 10-01-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Thanks, versifier, for your first starting answer to this thread.

Being a Chemist/"scientist" (67 yr old retired PhD Industry Biochemist), I liked your equations !

I've been looking thru Castboolits.com and have seen some posts on this bullet.

What I want to do, eventually, is compile a table of TRIED loads that actually have
    worked out for various shooters for this LEE 170 grain "Cruise Missile" molded bullet.

I bought the LEE mold to load for my Carcano Carbine.
    http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...om/topic/37545

Then I stumbled upon a 6.5mm Swedish mauser, so now I want to also use that bullet in the Swede....
    http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...om/topic/37740

So eventually, if people contribute to this thread, I will be able to compile two referenced load tables.

One for the 6.5mm Swede and one for the 6.5mm Carcano - all this just to save money.

We'll see how that works out....then other's in need won't be required to search and search for bits and pieces, here and there.

Thanks again for your post, versifier.

DoctorBill

PS - Is it acceptable practice to copy material from other posts here and on other forums to use in
    tables and charts that one posts on a forum ?
    As long as the items are acknowledged or cited, I would assume so, but then, thank God - I am not a Lawyer.

Last edited by DoctorBill; 10-02-2010 at 06:55 AM.

I have no idea how such a long bullet will work in the gain twist rifling of your Carcano. It may have a difficult time stabilizing, but as the original mil bullets were fairly long too it may surprise.

The Cruise Missile was designed specifically for hunting large game with the mod96 Swedish Mauser military rifles with their extremely long throats. Midsouth had a custom run of the moulds made up by Lee. I just got mine this past summer and I have a bunch of them all ready to go but realistically will not be able to start tests with them until next summer. My Swede is a custom built on a Yugo action I rebarreled and set up for my youngest daughter, so I'm not sure it will have a long enough throat, we'll see. She does well with it but so far prefers the milder recoil of 120gr bullets. When she grows a bit more I'm sure that will change. I have a nice 120gr RNGC that we're using for practice loads. The mould is prewar (1930's vintage) Lyman and came to me with a supply of brass gas checks.
    "Stand your ground.

GunLoad Trainee

Versifier
    I like that formula, I'll have to write that one on the wall so I don't loose it.

Thanks
    Bob

Dr Bill,
    Yes, you can copy and paste as long as the material isn't copyrighted. If it is, just post a link to it and that will keep Willy out of hot water. It never hurts to cite sources anyway in case someone wants to follow them up out of curiosity or to answer their own questions.

2ndhand Bob, welcome to The Guide.
    Just make darn sure you never use that formula with any spherical powder. They can pressure spike with reduced loads with disastrous consequences.

The only exception is WC 860, a pulldown surp powder from 50BMG that is very versatile with cast bullet rifle loads, but that is a special case.

I have used the formula extensively with IMR extruded and Alliant extruded and flake powders with no problems whatsoever in cases from .30-30 size on up to the -06 family, 6.5mm-.35cal. I have never tried it in any magnum capacity cases and cannot say if it is a safe practice in them or not. I like it because it has a much higher loading density than pistol powders and the loads are much less position sensitive. If you're going to post it on your wall, please post the warnings with it for safety's sake in case someone else reads it and decides to try it.
    "Stand your ground.

GunLoad Trainee

Versifer
    Exceptions noted. I also use alot of IMR powder, and some Alliant. 30-30 and 30-06 are the two rifle calibers that I cast for.

Thanks again
    Bob