Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source of Tin to Improve Wheel Weights

Default umm want me to fix that typo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Here's my allow FWIW. I use ten pounds of Wheel weights, one pound of linotype a three foot piece of 95/5 percent lead free solder and one-third cup of magnum bird shot. (Shot is optional but necessary if you want to water drop and get really hard bullets.) That solder is 95 percent tin, the other 5 percent can be silver or copper. I prefer the silver but either will work. Lino already has a decent amount of tin but as today's wheelweight don't have as much as those made years ago, I add the lead fee solder to make up the difference and the mix casts very nicesly. The shot (magnum or chilled) should 7 1/2 or SMALLER. The smaller the shot the greater the amount of arsenic. Arsenic in the allow will cause water dropped lead bullets to become harder than an IRS collection agent's heart. Water dropped can gain up tp 20/21 BHN from the 12/14 BHN from air cooled bullets. If you bake thm in an oven for an hour or more at about 25 degrees, then water drop them, you can go as high as 32/33 BHN. But it takes that arsenic in the shot to make that happen. Bullets will age harden in about two to three weeks but wiill already be quite hard right from the water.
    Paul B.
    ummm whilst i agree with what you posted ( even tho i use the shot smelted into lead bars first lolz ) this part i know is a unintentional typo " If you bake thm in an oven for an hour or more at about 25 degrees " because 25 degrees right now would feel about mitey fine ( and we'll have that temp in about six months as we always get the weather we want ... about six months after we want it lolz ) but i'm not so heavy handed that i'll fix it without asking so ...you want me too ? lolz

Wise

That's what happens when you type with two blind fingers. It should be 425 degrees. The reason for only 1/3 cup of the shot is because it only takes a very small amount of arsenic to be the catalyst for making the bullets hard. IIRC, it's something like .05 percent. More won't make much difference just like too much tin won't help the alloy. That's what, one or two percent tin tops?
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

three sore fingers and both my left thumbs :P , in the interest of the thread i'll make it right so it doesnt confuse anyone , i agree it doesnt take alot of arsenic , i just make bars of old lead shot and then use as needed in my alloys ( it can even be the "cheaper" corroded looking kind as it looks good to go after smelting and breaking up all that shot sometimes can be fun ) as for the tin ...[shrugz] hard to say exactly without knowing what mite be in any ww mixed with it , the lino is a lil tin rich tho and that helps ( as well as more antimony !! ) i've cast more than a few 45 acp plinkers from 50/50 ww/pb with no added tin , some i've heat treated some i havent , if one of my #'s of pb is lead shot they always come out harder ( but it too adds a skosh of antimony )

Wise

It's interesting to compare wheel weights then and wheel weights now.Back aound 1973, i made a huge purchase of raw wheel weights and I still have about 25 pounds of them left. Just for splits and grins, I cast a few SAECO #068 bullets from those old weights and them drained the pot and cast a few with metal fron current wheel weights. I let them age harden for a month and then used my LBT tester to see if there was any difference in the hardness. There was. The 1973 issue weights ran from 13 to 14 on the BHN scale while current weight ran from 8 to 10 on the scale. My alloy runs quite close to that 1973 weights and either is suitable for full power 30-30 loads. I'm thinking current weights would be just a bit too soft for that level of loads in the 30-30.
    A while back I was given about 200 pounds of what was purported to be cleaned wheel weights that were molded in one of those corn bread molds. I ran up a bunch of bullets for several of my handguns and on a hunch decided to spot check a few for hardness. Average BHN reading was 6. Some were at 5 and a few were as high as 7 on the scale. Methinks they were more pure lead than weights. The guy also gave me about 100 pounds of pure lead and a full bucket of raw weights that I have yet to clean.
    I'll have to get off the stick and git-r-done one of these days but right now it's too darn hot.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

I quickly found that alloys of tin are real expensive.
    Depends if you know where to buy it .... Tin, 99.9 pure, ten bucks a pound
    John Walters
    405-799-0376
    thetinwadman@cox.net

John has been in business for years and has an excellent reputation with the BPCR folks

GunLoad Trainee

Thumbs up

Lyman alloy # 2 look in the lyman book for it that's all I use for my center fire.