Thread: New 44 special loads

GunLoad Trainee

Default New 44 special loads

I've been working with Auto Comp powder in 45 acp and 44 Special. I have not had much luck with the 44 Special and this powder until today. With a 240 SWC sized to .430 I finally found two loads that made one hole groups at 15 yds off hand. Less than one inch. The first, with the 240 SWC is 6 grs. of Auto Comp for around 830 fps. The second bullet was a 215 gr. SWC from Magnus. That load was 6.6 grs. of Auto Comp for almost 900 fps. I have been using WST powder as a control, because that has proven to be a excellent powder for the 44 Special. I just thought I would pass my findings along, because I never would have known what load to use with WST if not for this great web- site. Thanks to all that have volunteered their data.
    Amtracker 66-69 Semper Fi

GunLoad Trainee

Default 44 special loads.

I had a Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2" just liked the Lyman 245gr cast boolit. It came out of the mold at 250gr. to 252gr. I used Unique powder for the 44 spec load but can't remember how much I used. I used this load to take rabbits out in the field. I wish I had that revolver and mold back.