Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting in the cold

Jim you don't have to tell me bout Ticks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The worst possible insult you can give a Pro Roo shooter is to call him a "Roo Tick" I think they must be related to Cattle ticks as they both cause parilise ! The worse I ever suffered from was Bloody Fleas ! Back when I was shooting Foxes for a living! They were attracked to me like steel fillings to a magnet ! My Ex would'nt let me into the house Until I'd stripped off out side & washed my self down with some muck she got from the Chemist (Drug store) I used to be scratching like a mad Dog !
    I know where your comming from with Beef !!!! The worst way to cook Roo meat is to Boil it ! I came in from work one morning & I was at that time shareing a Chiller with another shooter ! I had been flat out all night! Bogged ,Puntures & making a living ! He as sitting there eating a Giant Sandwich ! I had'nt eaten all night & was starved ,so I just grabbed his sandwich & stuffed as much of it into my mouth as I could before he could get it back from me ! MATE!!!!!!!!!! I spat it out faster than I got it in ! Screamed at him what the @#%&^$ is that ? he smiled & quietly replied (between mouthfulls .....The Pig) .....Boiled Roo meat mate! Erm as you my have noticed .It's a aquired taste

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

The blasted ticks over here in our woods will jump on anything that passes their perch. They like to be on bushes and as the animal or yourself goes through the piney woods and brush they just hop aboard your body and find their way to your back side and dig into your keester as far as they can.

Long finger nails or tweezers is the only way to extracate the little vermin heads broken off in your flesh.

Now the bloody deer flies are really huge in size, they like to bite your flesh like flying phyranas, and will chase you down the road on a bike or jogging right up to the door of your house.

Consequently I don't wander around in our woods or walk down our road when they are about.

Jim

Default d-o-k

My god man boiled - any kind of meat is....well awful at best. How is Roo meat off the bar BQ?

You boys can talk about your ticks and I know deer flies are bad but Black flies, now if you want to be in need of a blood transfusion.....golf in shorts up here in July.

Stay Safe
    Last edited by robertbank; 01-04-2006 at 03:16 PM.

I certainly agree on the boiled meat, whoever thought that one up never learned to fry or put it on the barby.

Or put it in the micro wave until it gets solid to the core.

Jim

Not real cold here, never lower than low teens F. My first duty station (Indio) was quite warm, and the east and south ends of the Coachella Valley was extremely humid due to agriculture, irrigation, and the Salton Sea. I decided to change stations one fine summer day after driving past a time/temp sign in downtown Indio that showed 4:35........128*. Humidity was at least 50%. There's nothing like wool uniform pants and body armor on a day like that--then directing traffic at a collison scene for an hour plus. NO MAS!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum gerere--et Fortuna favorat fortis.

The gentleman (I use the term very loosely) Was nick named Dirty Bob ! It has been speculated for years why he would eat boiled Roo meat ! The only possible answer that anyone can come up with is that it is a normal practice to boil Roo meat for dogs ! Now Dirty Bob was probarly the laziest man ever born ! So he probarly just shared the meat he prepared for his dogs! (It was never adviseable to stand down wind from him ) The secret of cooking Roo meat is not to over cook it ! I used to serve it at Barbees as Steak or venison depending on my mood on the day ! But know it's classed as a goumie food there is'nt that problem !(Mind you I still serve Goat as Lamb or mutton depending on it's age ) Camel has always gone on the plate at our place as Steak or Lamb depending on my mood & the age of the beast! There is a Pub up north of us at Parachillna that offers what they call the Feral menu . Roo,emu ,Croc ,Camel ,Goat ,Buff & they charge the earth for it ! Hell since I was a kid I've been eating Top self & we complained to mum & dad

Dave

Now I am going to go out on the limb here and guess that Croc tastes a bit like lobster, clean white meat. Now Dave don't you be laughing at this Canuck. Crocs haven't been in this part of the world since Christ made water so I will plead ignorance but clue me in.

Stay Safe

Bob
    Bob

If you are reading this, thank a teacher; if you are reading this in English thank a veteran.

Croc to me tastes a bit like Chicken ! Yet to others it tastes like fish ! It's very oily meat & if you eat enough of it (Like the Old Pro Croc shooter's did ) they tell me it comes through the pores of your skin & you smell like one !They are protected these days in the wild ! But........In my days as a Water Buff shooter we would have to shoot one every known again ......In self defense of course Then of course the meat was taken & made a pleasant change from Buffalo steaks! They do farm them these days for their skins & meat (crocs)

Dave

Dave, you must have a cast iron gut...and colon. I just couldn't eat that stuff knowing what it is.

I'll bet one of our Black Angus steaks would taste like boiled roo meat to you...

You folks must put some kind of special sauce you put on your meat to soften up the taste.

I'm such a wimp, I cannot even eat wild dear meat unless its pepperfied jerky.

Once ate dinner with some friends up in Montana, they slipped in some fried bear meat, one mouthful and I was chewing and chewing and chewing...and when no one was looking crooked it out of my mouth under the mash potatoes along with the rest of the piece on my plate. It looked like a minature valcano heap up. But it wasn't going down below to do some real damage.

Jim

JIm these days I love nothing better than a Fried/grilled steak Angus, Heiford/Bramha
    Cross ! Salt bush fed Lamd Mutton is right up there as well ! As Kids My Dad was a Pro shooter & it was almost a crime for him to kill anything on the farm ! (Even our chikens died of Old age) My mother would use Emu eggs to cook cakes .She cooked Rabbits in every way possible (including cumbing it & trying to pass it off as Deep fried Chicken ! Hell we knew there were no chickens missing) Dad would get a young Emu & try & convince us it was a Turkey ! Wombat was passed off as Pork !ect ! These days I refuse to eat"Game " But in my younger days out bush it was the only fresh meat avalible ! I always enjoied the look on somebodies face when you told em what they had been eating !

Dave