Thread: glocks and cast

GunLoad Trainee

Default glocks and cast

Hey I'm new to reloading and I try and shoot 3 match's a month. I'm considering using Cast Boolits as you all call them and my question is how to prevent Leading and I have also heard that you shouldnt shoot Cast through a Glock. Is any of this true? Thanks for the help

Welcome to the Guide

You shouldn't shoot cast through a Glock .40 or 10mm with a factory barrel unless the bullets are BOTH oversize and very hard. Otherwise the polygonal rifling builds up leading very quickly, pushing pressures through the roof. There are aftermarket barrels with cut or button rifling that eliminate the problem. (There are other problems with reloading for older Glocks like their unsupported chambers, but that is a different issue.) The same fancy rifling does not cause any problems in the factory barrel of my .45ACP G21 and I run very soft (but properly sized) alloys through my handguns. I don't know about Glock 9mm's as I don't have one to load for, but I have not heard of anyone having problems with them.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

I've been shooting a Glock 21 for several years, mostly using cast. I've used both the factory and a Barsto barrel. I've noticed after a few hundred bullets in factory barrel there was a lot of leading. I'm usingh straight wheel weights, sized.451 w/red rooster lub. The Barsto works much better w/o the leading, even after a hard day with 500+ rounds. I haven't done any loading for 9mm or .40's, so don't know about issues with them. Hope this helps.

the edges of the polygonal rifling is where your problems occur.
    it [leading] builds up and causes chamber pressures to skyrocket.
    i concur with versifier[ if i were to actually ever buy a glock i would definately shoot cast boolits in it] about using the very hard boolits in the polygonal bbls.
    bbl's with good sharp rifling are definately an easier road to travell with cast though.

If you are getting leading in your G21 with straight WW's/Rooster Red, your bullets are too small. (Too fast won't be an issue in .45's. If it is, the loads are much too hot for the pistol anyway.)

First, try moving up to a .452" sizer. That will cure any leading issues.

Bullets for .45 Glocks don't need to be hard like .40/10mm's do. .45's operate at much lower pressures. WW's should work fine, and you might consider cutting your WW's with pure lead 50/50. This will give you much better obturation and save on WW's which are getting harder to find every day.

The problem is definitely not the lube. Rooster Red is a good lube for all handgun loads and it is especially good for cast rifle bullets, too. IME you can push them as fast as you can with LLA, well over 2000fps, if they're properly sized. The only issue about the lube is the question of whether or not the gun prefers it for accuracy. I have never noted any accuracy issues with it, but it is another added variable and it is not unlikely that some barrels may prefer a different lube, just like they may prefer a specific bullet. If that is the case, I would next try either Carnuba Red (recipes next door at Cast Boolits), Bullshop's Speed Green, or tumble lube with Lee's Liquid Alox (LLA).
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Default glocks and cast

I think this was the best show you two have done, it was focused and informative, and clearly something you both feel passioate about.
    Too lazy to set a custom title