Default my favorite 223 Remington load!

this is the load that I love for the 223remington

PRIMER: FEDERAL #205
    POWDER:18.9gn OF IMR/4895
    BOOLIT:NEI 55.0 GN SPITSER @.225"
    CASE:MILITARY
    LUBE:BULL SHOP SPEED GREEN
    FPS:2290
    OTHER:0AL:2.081 : ONE HOLE GROUPS AT 50 YARDS. ABOUT 1INCH AT 100.

This is the best load that I have found for my remington 788.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

P.S. to find out more about the load right now go tohttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=1283
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 12-08-2005 at 05:26 AM.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

I've been wanting a 223 for varmenting, been lots of bobcats at the river this year and there are always crows

I have tried other loads in the 223 Remington that did not work that well. With some boolits the gun shoots well with whatever I stick in it. This it a long range load for coyotes.(up to 300yards).

PRIMER:FEDERAL #205
    POWDER:11.0GN OF HOGDEN LONGSHOT
    BOOLIT:LYMAN 55gn FNGC @.225"
    CASE:MISC 223
    LUBE:BULLSHOP SPEED GREEN
    FPS:2739
    OTHER:

This load is not the best load that I have ever shot, but works well. At 50yd it shoots at about 1/2inch, and at 100yd about 1inch, and about 2inch at 200, and that is as far as I have shot it at. Hit hard too!!!!!! At the range I have a little piece of steel that is about 5/8 of a inch thick and that load shot through it, and my jacketed did not, until the steel was all shot to pieces, and was nothing but boolit holes.

Am going to try to start shooting that rifle more and my 30/30 more.
    DANIEL/BS JR.
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 12-08-2005 at 05:26 AM.

Default Help!!!!!!!

At the gun show today I got some 223 brass. Now in my time as a reloader I have discovered that norma brass has a smaller flash hole than american brass (norma in made in finland). Now the brass I got is made in china, (it says china north industries corporation on the front) and for that reason I believe that this brass will have smaller flash holes. Now in the 22 hornet the norma brass made the gun shoot a lot better. I believe that the 223 will be the same way. Now the brass that I got is made in china and made by NORINCO, and sayes reloadable. Do any of you have experience with this brand brass?
    thank you.
    DANIEL/BS JR.
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 12-08-2005 at 05:27 AM.

I've had my Remington 700 in 223 better than 20 years now, and it's getting time for a new bbl. Going to go the wildcat route, and go with a 6mm\223. Of course I'll have to pick up another 223, probably a mini-14. Never have shot cast in it, mostly the now discontinued Nosler Solid base and ALOT of Sierra 60 gr HP's. Either of those are coyote killing machines. The Sierra will work on Deer if you mind your business, and pick your shots. I once finished off a cow Elk that was shot and making 3 legged tracks the wrong way. I don't recomend that, but I got lucky and spined her so it worked out well.

krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by krag35
    I've had my Remington 700 in 223 better than 20 years now, and it's getting time for a new bbl. Going to go the wildcat route, and go with a 6mm\223. Of course I'll have to pick up another 223, probably a mini-14. Never have shot cast in it, mostly the now discontinued Nosler Solid base and ALOT of Sierra 60 gr HP's. Either of those are coyote killing machines. The Sierra will work on Deer if you mind your business, and pick your shots. I once finished off a cow Elk that was shot and making 3 legged tracks the wrong way. I don't recomend that, but I got lucky and spined her so it worked out well.

krag35
    My dad has a Remington 700 in 6mm/223, and another one in 22/243 middlested. He had a man build them for him when he was hunting fur in the days before me. He still has both rifles and still likes them a lot. I am trying to think about what my Remington 788 will become, either a 222 or a 6mm/223. I am thinking that I might try to get a Remington 788 in 308 and converting it to 22/243.
    DANIEL/BS JR.
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 12-08-2005 at 05:27 AM.

I'm not familiar with the 22/243, but won't a 22-250 come pretty close to it? I remember something I read once about a 22/257 Roberts (I think) They were shooting something like 120 grain bullets out of it, that must have looked like a pencil.

krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by krag35
    I'm not familiar with the 22/243, but won't a 22-250 come pretty close to it? I remember something I read once about a 22/257 Roberts (I think) They were shooting something like 120 grain bullets out of it, that must have looked like a pencil.

krag35
    Krag35,
    Yes, the 22/250 will come close, but will need more presser. the 22/243 will get the same fps with less presser, or more fps with the same presser. the 22/243 is on the 308/243 case so it will get quite a bit of the fps. the 22/243 will also shoot flater then the 22/250.
    DANIEL/BS JR.
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 12-10-2005 at 04:09 AM.

Since you like your 788, you really should at least try one in .22-250 before you go off wildcatting. Not that I have anything against wildcats, but the .22-250 in an inherently very accurate cartridge. If you get a 788 that's in decent shape, I think you'll find that the extra few hundred fps and flatter trajectory that the .22/.243 could give you is meaningless when you can shoot 10 shot 100yd groups less than .5 MOA all day. You do have to let the barrel cool off occasionally if you're putting a lot of rounds through it. My 788 likes Sierras best, (52gr HPBT MatchKings or 55gr SBT GameKings both will do .3MOA) though it will keep any decent bullet between 45 and 60gr under MOA. I can roll soda cans out to 500yds with no problems at all, and have taken coyotes at over 400 with one shot. If you're shooting at longer ranges than that, maybe you should use a Barrett! (Just kidding!)
    In my 30+ years of handloading, I have found most cartridge/rifle combinations to shoot their most accurate at several hundred fps below their max loads. While there is some bullet drop, it can be easily compensated for with a decent scope and a good estimate of the actual range. I betcha the .22/.243 wildcat will have it's best accuracy around 3800fps with a 55gr bullet, right in the middle of the .22-250's working range. My other 788, in .308, will keep its favorite bullets at less than MOA (again, 10shot groups) all day, too, though it heats quicker than the .22-250 and needs to cool down every four or five shots in warmer weather. That's no big deal as it's a hunting rifle with, as you know, a three shot clip. The point is that these are some of the most accurate rifles that Remington has ever produced, (I've owned five different ones over the years, all more accurate than anything but a well made match rifle) and I just can't see rebarreling one until the barrel is shot out. With cast bullets, that might take a very long time indeed... I'd play with a Rem 700 or a Mauser98 if I want to do some barrelswapping. There are plenty of them that can't pass the pieplate test just aching for a good accurate new barrel!
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Welcome to the guide versifier
    Toney Relic Hunter