Thread: hornady flex tip bullets for 35 whelen

shooter39629

Default hornady flex tip bullets for 35 whelen

I am thinking about trying the hornady flex tip bullets in my 35 whelen rifle to see if it will be comparable to nosler ballistic tip or hornady sst bullets. Has anyone tried this combination and if so what were the results. I had some of these bullets leftover from loading my 35 marlin. I would think you could us the load data for normal 200 grain bullets with similar fps and energy. Any thought would be helpful.

I think that data would be a good place to start. I have heard mixed reviews of the accuracy of the flex-tip bullets. Some have been happy with them, others not at all. Personally, no test is a bad idea - you always learn something.

The idea doesn't solve any problems for me - at ranges less than 200yds, the difference in accuracy between a flat point bullet and the flex tip is a non issue in a big game rifle. If a specific rifle really liked them to the degree that there were a truly phenominal accuracy difference, then I could see laying in a good supply of them. I already have perfectly good (and fairly accurate) cast hunting bullets in both .30 and .35cals, so I would be hard to convince of their utility.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

shooter39629

Thank You for the reply. I am enjoying the reloading bug and thought that if they work on deer in my 35 whelen like they work on hogs in my 35 marlin lever, it would be a fun experiment. The hogs with the 35 marlin usually fall where shot.