Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st reload success!!!

No big deal to mix pistol brass for practice or plinking loads. I don't keep track of the number of times loaded with them, just toss them if the necks split when sizing. I do separate revolver cases because the necks get worked and some of them are pretty hot loads. I separate my rifle brass carefully by lot and headstamp. I put all info possible into my loading notes - something might come into question down the road. I also number each batch and write the batch on the cartridge box. If it's a test batch, I can note that number on the targets and not get things confused when I get home, measure targets, and add the data to the notes.
    Last edited by versifier; 06-09-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

New here i to have not been reloading very long and have learned so much. right now i just load 3 different cases for the 30 carbine.
    30 cal 100 grain rn bullets, speer 30 cal 110 gr .308 round sp,Missouri bullet cast bullets.309 115grain RN brinell 18 optimized for the m1 carbine very good round for plinking a little more cleaning do to no jackets but fun never the less yes never jump the gun write every load down no matter what you think you may just need that info later oh great site thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcguyme View Post
    New here i to have not been reloading very long and have learned so much. right now i just load 3 different cases for the 30 carbine.
    30 cal 100 grain rn bullets, speer 30 cal 110 gr .308 round sp,Missouri bullet cast bullets.309 115grain RN brinell 18 optimized for the m1 carbine very good round for plinking a little more cleaning do to no jackets but fun never the less yes never jump the gun write every load down no matter what you think you may just need that info later oh great site thanks
    Haven't been here in a while but welcome to the forum.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Quote Originally Posted by gvanek View Post
    I also loaded up some .45's...cast 225 grain round nose, 5.8 grains Unique. Also, worked well. I loadesd up 12 rounds, tested, then loaded up about 300-400 more.

My cast bullets...in .40 and .45...worked very well. No leading issues in the Para Ordnance, Colt, Sig, or Glock. No feeding issues, either. I haven't checked the acurracy of the loads from a bench, but I can shoot the red out of the bulls eye at 35 ft... my buddy does a bit better. This may not be up to other's standards and I know its not very scientific but, it works for me!

Hey, I've been at this for , like, 3 weeks...?

I have a metal note book(really! the covers are aluminum) that I keep the load data and date info in. Just powder, grains, bullet grains, OAL,...nothing elaborate. My brass is mixed. (is this bad?) Chronograph...no. I'm just a hobbiest. No plans to compete in any IPSC events too soon, though I may down the road. Cockiness is not in my nature...just excited when " a plan comes together". Perhaps I'll keep a little more detail in my notes...just in case.

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I'll let you know how my .40's turn out. May the force be with you.
    Mixed brass for plinking?, no problem. No chrony?, no problem either. Just keep watching for over pressure signs in your loads. Also watch for low pressure signs. If you are going to really get serious about handloading I would suggest you get a good chrony though. If you want your best accurate loads you will want to sort your brass by headstamp and trim. If you really want accurate loads you will want to weigh every case after trimming. Weigh and measure every bullet and get your charges as close as possible to cut down on your ES. Seems you're own your way. Enjoy and be safe. Ask all the questons you feel you need to and don't ever think there is a stupid question.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.