Thread: .35 rem for elk?

GunLoad Trainee

Default .35 rem for elk?

My son has drawn a tag for cow elk in unit 6a in arizona. I gave him a rifle that my dad gave me back in the day. Whay I was wondering do you think at ranges less than 100 yd;s would it be enough to take a cow elk?

Yep, but it'll kill her just barely dead. Kidding aside, the 35 Rem will, and has, done that job very well. Of course some will tell you that you have to have at least a 105 howitzer to do the job properly.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory !!

If it will drop a moose cleanly at that range (and it will, I have seen it), it will drop an elk. All he has to do is put the bullet through the boiler room and there's meat in the freezer. I would personally try to avoid quartering shots at anything more than 100yds, and be aware that with a 200gr bullet, it has a trajectory like a softball and drops rapidly beyond that range. Will he be shooting factory loads or handloads?

Those howitzers are just a tad bit heavy to be carrying....
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

I was thinking of the leverevolution in 200 grain,or the 200 grain cor-lok. I have some 2oo hornandy rnsp to reload but was thinking of the leverevolution for this hunt.

I've heard nothing but good things about the LeverRevolution loads, but I don't have any personal experience with them. I have put a little Wapiti meat in the freezer with good ol' Federal power shock, my 336 really likes them a lot. It don't know how to read all the advertising hype of the "better" brands, so it just don't know it's not supposed to.
    Gary

I have absolutely no use for the latest gimmick bullet. Like with any bullet, it shoots well in some rifles, poorly in others. I have heard more negative than positive, and both my encounters with them have shown very poor accuracy in both a Win93 and Marlin 36 .30-30's. Though I will freely admit two rifles do not provide enough data for a fair evaluation, at the current price they're asking for it, that was enough for me. There has already been one recall of the loaded ammo. Personally, if I need to shoot beyond 150 yds, I'll use a bolt rifle. Within the effective range of most levers (Wins - not the 88's - & Marlins) a flat or round nosed bullet doesn't lose enough velocity or sacrifice enough accuracy to bother me, and I would bet that more large game has been taken in the last century with lever rifles shooting those "limited" bullets than all other rifles and bullets combined. The new ammo uses a proprietary powder unavaiable to handloaders to give at the most 1-200fps, and use of the bullets (at least it .30-30) requires shortening of the cases, rendering them unusable for normal loads after. I'll pass on them, thanks.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

It's really hard to tell from your post versifier, do you like them or not? By the way, I think that the 30-30 is one of the most underated and yet one of the best hunting cartridges ever invented. It's my "go-to" gun for situations when I don't know exactly what conditions I will encounter. I'm envious of your 36, but the 336s are still pretty good. My dad had a 36, but it didn't make the generation transition. That was the slickest action that I've ever operated, and it hit where you aimed it.
    Gary

i'd go with the hornady 200 core lokt.
    get what you can from it and go for a high shoulder shot with as much straight across as you can get.
    i'm with versifier here, if i need to shoot across a canyon i'll use a rifle designed for that.
    but since i don't have a whupemmagnum i just get a bit closer.
    and if he practices , 150 yds is a doable shot, i shoot my lever actions a lot and hitting the killing zone of a deer to 200+ yds is a reality with the first shot with the 357 the 44 mag and 45 colt,the 30-40 and 30-30. wish i could find a good 35 remington or i'd know about it too.
    but the 358 does fine out to distances the gun magazines say they won't even reach.

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks, I'll stick with the rem cor-lok 200 gr and use the rubber for deer. Again thanks for your opinion.