Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to my next adventure,bedding a rifle stock

GunLoad Trainee

the box is in the mag well is very tight in the stock on the sides,but it doesnt stick up higher than the stock, it is flush or just a hair shorter that the stock,if letting it cool doesnt fix it then i am going to try the pressure on the barrel and see if that helps,and i will also remove just a bit of the back of the stock so it will contact the block solid on the reciever, i will let yall know how it does,thanks.

GunLoad Trainee

I am going to try the bedding the action first of all because there are points where it does not contact,including the recoil lug ,it has about 1/16 gap at the back of the reciever recoil lug and the recoil lug in the stock,so it has to be moving some i also had noticed a spot that was rubbed shiny on the center of the bedding block on the front of the reciver the hole lenght of the block just in the middle where the the front reciver bolt attaches to the stock block and recoil lug it was not making full contact with the lug just in the very center. my ? is, should the reciver be tight even on the sides of the stock when bedded or just on the bottom of the reciever where it is contacting the bedding, there is a small gap all the way around the reciver at the top of the stock and it is hitting the stock just below the top surface of the stock, should i remove this material and use bedding compound to make the reciever rock solid at all points?

when i bed one thats how i do it.
    i lock it in tight.
    i also like to remove the stock the instant it's dry enough to remove, then torque it back in.
    it might take about 10-20 shots after it's all dry to seat everything and settle it down.

GunLoad Trainee

well , i bedded the action and the barrel down to the end of the chamber a couple weeks ago, and wow! it shoots alot better than i could ever have hoped for, im not bs'ing ,it shoots 3/8" on 2 differant bullets and powders,the same powders and bullets i was using before, my 12 year old daughter even bullseyed with it at 100 yards the bullseye was the size of a dime. i would not have ever figured it would have made that much differance, but it did. i also took my time between shots to.

nice, it's easier than it sounds, but it is a bit daunting to do the first one.
    i am glad it worked out for ya.

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks for all the advice.