Thread: Small Pistol Primers

GunLoad Trainee

Default Small Pistol Primers

Is it me or is it hard to find primers for a small pistol 357 mag?

It's hard to find any kind of primers these days, but the hardest are small rifle. All I can suggest is to keep checking suppliers on a regular basis and jump on them when you find any in stock. Patience is called for these days, but a patient man ought to be able to find some.

The Obama Panic has been great for the firearms and reloading industries - probably the only sector of the economy looking positive at this point. Some profiteering scumbag on evilbay last week was selling SRP's for $.10 each EACH - $10 for a pack of 100. (When I started loading, you could buy them for around $8 per 1000, less if you shopped around, and much less if you bought at least 5000.) I'm betting that in a year or so there will be a glut when suppliers catch up with orders and those who have been hoarding them realize they can't get the big money for them that they had hoped. Then we should be able to clean up on them at the gunshows. Powder, too.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

i think the prices are here to stay expect to pay 150.00 for 8 lbs of powder.
    and 32.00 for primers in the future.
    even after it settles down.
    and bullets will be in the 25-27.00 range.
    sorry but if we/they are willing to pay it now the prices are staying.
    just wish i could get the funding to go into the primer business.

Exclamation

Hey y'all...

I just bought 5k of primers 4k SPP & 1K LPP... I paid a SHOCKING 39.99 for each 1000 primers...

I just bought 6 lbs. of Herco @21.95/lb...

I bought up all of Potter County Outfitters stock of primers and all of the owner's (Ed Easton (good guy!)) Stock of Herco...

(their URL: http://www.pottercountyoutfitters.com

I suspect things're gonna get a whole lotta worse and not a lot better...

I apologize for not being completely 'profiled' and so forth, I didn't realize the correct way I had to register, and was having some issues. the link'll tell you folks roughly where abouts my lovely wife and I live...

Anyway I'm Jim Fleming, I registered in the General forum as myself, and all that if'n you wanna see my ugly mug, lol!

I just hadda spread out the misery, etc... Good Lord things're out of SIGHT!

Nice forum here, I like it.

Jim

It is supply and demand pure and simple. That said, like gas, when things do calm down and supply exceeds demand, I expect price to go down, but now down to where it was befor the Obama factor crept into the mix. It many not help a lot, but I have cut down a bit on cost of components by using a Cabella's credit card for all of my gas. With this I get about 25.00 or so Cabella credit on purchase, so I get two cans of powder for about 20.00 out of pocket every couple of months. It helps some.
    1Shirt!

Good morning
    If you think ot is hard up NORTH there you should try Southern Peru.
    In 2.5 years I have found and bought 346 SP primers at an average of 9 cents a piece and happy to find them. To have LP primers I buy 45acp and tear them down.. 60 cents a cartridge.
    Mike in Peru

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    Hey y'all...

I just bought 5k of primers 4k SPP & 1K LPP... I paid a SHOCKING 39.99 for each 1000 primers...

I just bought 6 lbs. of Herco @21.95/lb...

I bought up all of Potter County Outfitters stock of primers and all of the owner's (Ed Easton (good guy!)) Stock of Herco...

(their URL: http://www.pottercountyoutfitters.com

I suspect things're gonna get a whole lotta worse and not a lot better...

I apologize for not being completely 'profiled' and so forth, I didn't realize the correct way I had to register, and was having some issues. the link'll tell you folks roughly where abouts my lovely wife and I live...

Anyway I'm Jim Fleming, I registered in the General forum as myself, and all that if'n you wanna see my ugly mug, lol!

I just hadda spread out the misery, etc... Good Lord things're out of SIGHT!

Nice forum here, I like it.

Jim
    Hi Jim and welcome. Really not concerned about seeing your ugly mug.
    I gotta' say, for the price you paid for your primers and powder it's not all that bad. Some can't even find any right now. My last trip to the gunshop a couple of weeks ago yeilded 300 Federal SP Magnum primers for 3.95 per 100. There were a few thousand shotshell primers on the shelves (and that was it for primers) and a number of powders by the pound that it seems no one really uses because they were still there. All of the powders I use for pistol or rifle were no where to be seen and the guy told me he had no idea when he would get more powder or primers in. He stated he had a hard time finding powder for his .223 loads but had plenty SR primers. I almost asked him if he wanted to trade 300 SR primers for 1/2 pound of Win748 but decided against it. I still have several hundred SR primers but don't know when I may be able to find anymore 748.
    You are right. Things may get worse before they get any better. Let's hope we are wrong about this though.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

GunLoad Trainee

I lucked onto some small pistol primes this week for 32.00/k,HOWEVER samll rifle was almost 47 bucks.ZOWIES
    Limit was 1k per customer,but that is a thou more than I"ve been able to find for about 3 months now.

Thumbs up stocking up

I'll have to check with my newest, best friend over at Potter County and see what kind of powders, if any, they have in stock...

It's just that it takes a long time to brace myself for the inevitable sticker shock(s)!

Jim
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member