Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: red dot loads for .38 spl-.357 magnum

JJB

Default red dot loads for .38 spl-.357 magnum

anyone have any good loads for these carts. using red dot powder? i use bullseye usually but i aquired a full new pound of red dot so i'm looking to use it up............... thanks... JJB

LIFE IS SHORT.....

It is very close to Bullseye. Have you looked at Alliant's Cowboy loads?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

kg

JJB

i've seen that recipe kg ...... i have alliant on my favorites on here ..... i was hoping for a .357 mag load with first hand experience........ i use 150 gr homecast swcs from a great old lyman mould...............

thanks....
    JJB

swamp

Red Dot isn't a handgun powder; no doubt that's why you cant find a load recipe.

You will get far superior load results using Power Pistol or at least Unique for the 38 loads and 2400 for your magnum loads.

Go to the Alliant site and study the different powders to see what they are making that is specially designed for your particular load.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/default.aspx
    Last edited by swamp; 04-09-2009 at 04:31 PM.

This is what Alliant gave 10 years ago or so (I would stay away from maximum loads with such a fast powder) :

Last edited by kg42; 04-09-2009 at 04:38 PM.

swamp

I see Power Pistol isn't even recommended for 38 loads; not having wheel guns anymore, I'm not up on the powders, but I used to use Unique a lot for 38 loads. It performed very well accuracy wise and made for a faster bullet than hotter powders. A buddy of mine shoots a S&W 38/357 and his 38's land in one hole with Unique. Bullseye in a 38 is way to fast a burner (the fastest Alliant makes) and therefore any variation in load will show up on the target. If you want an accurate load with Bullseye in a 38, you ought to hand measure on an accurate scale, each load.

I obviously load very differently than many people here; I select the powder designed for the particular cartridge I'm loading. I select based on the design/characteristic of the power with accuracy being the first results criteria and speed of the bullet second.

bullseye got it's name from being designed for use in the 38 special for bullseye shooting.
    2.7 grs and a 148 wadcutter in the 38 has cut more x-rings than you and i put together will ever see.

swamp

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    bullseye got it's name from being designed for use in the 38 special for bullseye shooting.
    Bullseye®
    Smokeless pistol powder
    Billions of rounds have been loaded with Bullseye since it was introduced in 1913.
    Fast burning and consistent
    Economical and accurate
    Principal Purpose: Handgun loads

Remarks:
    America's best known pistol powder. Unsurpassed for .45 ACP target loads.

I suspect you better tell the folks at Alliant that they are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    2.7 grs and a 148 wadcutter in the 38 has cut more x-rings than you and i put together will ever see.
    Are you sure about that? I was NRA Tri-State champion when I was 14 years old; that was 42 years ago and I've been practicing ever since.

JJB

Default thanks for the load chart KG

i have used 2400 for .357 mag handloads with a 158 gr bullet before.... i get more consistant SD with bullseye loads...... i'm thinkin i'll go with 6.2 grs of red dot for a magnum load........... i use 3.2 grs of bullseye in my .38 spl loads and they are very consistant and accurare too....

LIFE IS SHORT.....
    Last edited by JJB2; 04-10-2009 at 12:32 AM.

swamp

Quote Originally Posted by JJB2 View Post
    i have used 2400 for .357 mag handloads with a 158 gr bullet before.... i get more consistant SD with bullseye loads......

You're doing something wrong if you cant find a good magnum load with 2400 and I'll add; 2400 and Bullseye are as opposite a powder characteristic as there can be; you're doing something very wrong.

What is the process you go through to determine what load is best? And what is "SD"?