Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 acp

GunLoad Trainee

Between polishing the ramp a second time and emry clothing the expander die just a bit, it solved the problem ,tryed a differant mag but i think after those 2 things it was pretty much cured ,i havnt noticed any push back since, i also polished the square edge at the top of the ramp almost round, it feeds quicker know and smoother.sorry guys i havnt checked this thread for a while.

GunLoad Trainee

Magazines will cause a ton of trouble, but folks seldom consider them as being at fault. Two additional points:
    1. Too little neck tension. Maybe due to thinness/springiness of the brass. I will not load Rem brass for my .45's for that reason. Put the expander/beller spindle in a drill and knock off another thousandth.
    2. Don't seat and crimp at the same time. Seat all the bullets with the die backed off the cartridge holder about 1/8 inch, then take the seater stem out, or at least retract it 1/2 inch, screw die down to 1/16 inch from cartridge holder, and check for amount of crimp. Piddle with it until you are happy - you are mainly just removing the bell you put in before.

And it is an old wives tale that the round headspaces on the case neck. Tain't so. Measure the depth of the chamber, then check the trim-length of the cases, or check the length of new cases. Proper headspace occurs when the shoulder, or ogive in the case of RN bullets, imprints on the leade of the rifling. I always seat the shoulder of my boolits out about 1/16 inch. When dropped into a dis-assembled barrel, the rim stands up proud a smidgen, but the slide slamming home does a good job of setting correct headspace. Or so said my old gunsmithing chums.

I had similar problems with my Norinco when using Winchester Silvertips or any kind of Truncated cone bullet. The truncated cones would not feed reliably at all. The Silvertips kept getting pushed back into the case. A wooden dowel with very fine sandpaper on the feedramp helped. I only use a bullet in my Norinco that is hardball configured, like the Remington 185gr HP or the Federal Personal Defense 165gr HP. Though they are hollow points, they are still HB configured and function with no failures. I also use Chip McCormick mags with a couple of military. I have found the colt mags are a toss up.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.