Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of powder to use?

the unburnt powder is due to not reaching the pressure needed for a full burn.
    there are a couple of ways to correct this.
    in my 44 mag with 2400 it was to use a magnum primer to raise the pressure initially.
    coincidentally in my 45 colt with the same load and a 10 grain heavier boolit the mag primer was not needed.
    in my 357 a tighter neck tension was needed for full burn.
    but loading density is a consideration to factor in, especially in an autoloader where the powder it tossed back and forth in the case.
    you can verify a powders sensitivity with a chronograph,simply by just tilting the bbl down or up before each shot.
    i know it makes a difference.
    as far as the right powder some are just softer shooting and easier on the gun.
    example is unique versus titegroup in a 45 acp.
    the velocities are the same[ the unique was more consistent] but you can feel the recoil difference between them and see it on the boolit deformation.
    this is also one application where unique doesn't seem to burn dirty must be a good combination of pressure and case filling.

Castpics and RR guy

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    WHAT?????

Burn rate/characteristics verses cartridge and cartridge configuration trumps filling the shell.
    read the statement - reaches 100% of the available space at the appropriate pressure level. That is the science of burn rate/Cartridge configuration.

Granted just filling the case does nothing - all powders that are too slow for an application will fill the case. Getting near complete case fill at the pressure/velocity you are trying to attain is the key.

swamp

Well the Unique is the "One size fits all" powder and they admit that; it does a good job in many loads. However I found in a 45 ACP Unique didn't perform any where's near like Bulleseye. Unique is developed as a shot gun load; it's secondary use is handgun loads making it "not the premium choice".

If you just pay attention to what the experts say, you'll have superior results. But most people get stuck in a grove and defend their position in spite of specifically designed propellants.

This is a 5 shot, hand held group with a 45 ACP, 200 gr, LSWC, 5.2 gr Bullseye at 50'. (shell not filled with powder) Those are 1" squares.

50 shots rapid fire same load and distance

swamp

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    read the statement - reaches 100% of the available space at the appropriate pressure level. That is the science of burn rate/Cartridge configuration.

Granted just filling the case does nothing - all powders that are too slow for an application will fill the case. Getting near complete case fill at the pressure/velocity you are trying to attain is the key.
    I'll agree to disagree to that as a foundational rule. Many of my competition win loads are totally to the contrary of your rule.

JJB

Default Bullseye

i use 3 gr of bullseye for my 150 swc .38 spl loads and 6 grs. bullseye for my .357 mag loads..... 7000 grs to a pound and this stuff goes a long way... it's very consistant in my s&w model 27... chonos at half the sd of factory loads in both calibers.... the .357 mag is right at 1235 fps............. swamp is right ... you really wouldnt want to fill a case with bullseye and be anywhere around it when it was set off............................................... .....

LIFE IS SHORT.....

the 2nd amendment protects us all....................

GunLoad Trainee

Alliant Power Pistol is a good choice for most handgun loads, except the larger magnums. I like the Power Pistol for many loads but I also use Hodgdon Universal Clays, AA#7, and Hercules 2400. Both Pistol Power and AA#7 do a good job of filling a case and are often listed as one of the perfered powders for 9mm and 40 S&W.