Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of powder to use?

GunLoad Trainee

Default What type of powder to use?

Hi everybody. I have had a dillon RL550 press for about 15 years. I have made tens of thousands of rounds with good results 99% of the time. However I still feel like I'm guessing when it comes to powder type. Can anybody suggest a good book on the subject? I've serched Amazon and none of the titles suggest what I'm looking for. Let me be more specific. I load 9 mm, .40 S&W, and 45 ACP using the same powder for all three. I've been told this isn't wise in spite of the fact that the tables have loads for all three using the same powders. I have some understanding of how slow and fast burning powder work. But it is still a little vague why one is appropriate for 45 ACP and a different one is more right for 9 MM. Either the name of a good book on the subject or any comments would be greatly appreciated. Chuck.

Hi Chuck

I like fast powders for target shooting, because of the low cost of their light loads, and because I keep them below max pressures.

When it comes to maximum loads, different calibers have different requirements. In your example, I would say that Unique or similar powders are fine for the .45, but that slightly slower powder have been developped for the .40 (and done well in the 9).

It also seems that powders have a preferred range of pressure to operate with best accuracy and safety; roughly, the faster the powder the lower the pressure/speed.

Looking for "max" loads with too fast a powder will present the risk of overpressure, as it will react more quickly to changes in components and shooting conditions. Also, too fast a powder won't give you all the speed the caliber is capable of.

kg
    Last edited by kg42; 03-13-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Good morning
    When I am up htere I use Acc#5 for most my calibers that you show. Meters good out of my 20 year old Dillon and I think works as good as anything I have tried. Granted there are some newer powders that I have NOT tried but I will most likely keep on with Acc#5.
    Down here all I have is Unique and if that is all that existed I could get along just fine.
    Mike in Peru God Bless you

Welcome to Reloaders Guide CW41000.

You don't say what powder you're using, but my advice is to take what you have been told with a grain of salt. I, for instance, have done fine using Unique for all three for target/practice loads. If you wanted to load them to the highest possible velocities (not a really wise thing to do as it's hard on the pistols) or you wanted to get the maximum accuracy from each for competition, then you would have to be looking at three powders as each round and each pistol will have different preferences - that was probably what was behind the comment. If you are happy with your results so far, then I see no reason to change your loads. A progressive is not the press to be using for serious load development with multiple calibers anyway, it's too much of a PITA to keep readjusting everything.

We have an old saying up here in New England: If it works, don't fix it.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

for just shooting i like titegroup.
    it works pretty good in all three of those and covers the 38,44 and 45 colt too.
    none of them are really great loads but not bad ones either.
    i consider them to be on the normal side in the auto's and on the lighter to mid range in the revolvers.

swamp

Fast burning (Bullseye) for 45 ACP slow burning (2400) for magnum loads.

Alliant has some good marketing information telling you what powder to use with what kind of loads.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/default.aspx

I have used 700X in all my pistols with good results. 231 has also preformed well.

Castpics and RR guy

Default Powder Burn rates and Case Capacity

The concept is this, powder should fill 100% of the case space available and reach the SAAMI Standard Pressure at that point.

Powders that are too fast reach the pressure ceiling before filling 100% of the available space.

Powders that are too slow fill 100% of the space before reaching the SAAMI Standard Pressure.

In small cases like all three you mention, a little airspace is not critical with most powders. (Exceptions being some of the ball powders usually reserved for magnum loads anyway).

As cases get larger, this becomes more critical as powders that fill less than 65-70% of the case capacity can lead to SEEs or other strange phenomena where pressure spikes dramatically. With Rifle cases, and ball powders near perfect to slightly too slow is much more critical.

Having said the above, some powders (the faster pistol powders) tend to be comparatively immune to these phenomena and are used quite frequently in loading rifles with Cast bullets. (Reddot and Unique jump to mind)

To put it simply, with the three cartridges you are working with, I wouldn't waste time looking for the perfect combo for two reasons.

1.) It doesn't exist. You might get close, you wont get perfect and if by some miracle you do, you'll run out of that lot # of powder and the next one will be different.

2.) It doesn't matter anyway. If your loads are safe and function to your satisfaction, what else is there to achieve?

Good luck and safe shooting.

Wiljen

swamp

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    The concept is this, powder should fill 100% of the case space available and reach the SAAMI Standard Pressure at that point. Wiljen
    WHAT?????

I think bullet and powder manufacturers would disagree with you. Burn rate/characteristics verses cartridge and cartridge configuration trumps filling the shell.

I repeat, Alliant describes which if their powders if best for your particular load. They have significant R&D invested in developing powders specifically designed to perform with specific loads; case full or not. There are simply burn rates/characteristics that lend themselves to superior performance in specific load types no matter if the shell is full or not.

Frankly I have witnesses unburned powder remaining in the shell when you have a poor match of powder/load.

swamp

As a matter of fact here is the powder for your 40 and 9MM

http://www.alliantpowder.com/product...er_pistol.aspx

And this is your 45 ACP powder

http://www.alliantpowder.com/product.../bullseye.aspx