Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 mag advice

RELOAD DOWNUNDER

Default 357 mag advice

G'day from downunder I have just purchased a Marlin 1894C in 357 mag and would appreciate some reload specs.I currently reload for my .243WIN on my Hornady lock'nload progressive press .I've got the dies know I just need the loads.
    Cheers Powelly

Howdy Neighbor and WELCOME !
    I am on the other side of the BIG BLUE !
    First Item is what powders do you have available...
    Is this for CAST or J thangs ?
    God Bless you... Mike

RELOAD DOWNUNDER

Thanks Mike most powdwers are available probably lean towards Win296 and a 140gr jacketed slug for game but I am open to suggestions for targets.Do want to keep fouling to a minimum .
    Cheers Powelly

What loading manuals do you have available?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Greetings
    296 is a GOOD one... I use it alot in my 41īs for mag loads. I have not used it with a 140 in 357 simple because I do not shoot 140īs... I generally am launching cast or some 158 SP.
    My Speer manual says a start of 17.7 (1833 fps) and a top load of 19.7 (2070fps). These loads were launched from a 18.5 " Marlin. I find the Speer book as a descent guideline for shooting but very conservative.
    Me I would measure with a micrometer some .357 158 grain factory cases fired in your Marlin at the web area for a Good pressure indiccater for your firearm. I would not be surprised you cannot safely load your Marlin to another 10%... if it will go in the case as 296 loads are usually compressed. If you measure cases they will show expansion at the web. When it gets beyond your test cartridge it is getting HOT. But even a 140 gr. at 2000+ fps is an adequate thumper for all sorts of critters.
    I do know 296 is usually an accurate load. It does not do crazy things until the air Temp drops and the chamber gets to 45 F and below. Then you just need to remember your loosing some power.
    Well the Marlins are fine tools ! Mike

RELOAD DOWNUNDER

Good on ya Mike shall give that a shot.Hopefully down the track I'm getting a .357mag revolver as well when it happens there will be more questions.Will let you know how the Marlin performs .
    Cheers Mick

RELOAD DOWNUNDER

The manual I have at the moment is a first edition Nick Harvey Practical Reloading Manual printed in 1993 for Australian and New Zealand.Nick Harvey is a bit of a legend here in Aus, and has been hunting since the age of ten, he know looks about 80! Having more information from varied sources is always a good thing so any little snippet or useful fact that you have learned would be appreciated.
    Cheers Mick

Unique is a good powder for target and small game loads for both cast and jacketed. I also like 2400 and BLUEDOT when more power is necessary. Loads from Sierra for 140gr bullets: Test gun Colt MKIII Trooper 6" barrel
    UNIQUE: 1150fps/8.2gr 1200fps/8.6gr 1250fps/9.0grMAX
    BLUEDOT: 1150/11.1 1200/11.8 1250/12.4 1300/13.0 1350/13.6grMAX
    2400: 1150/15.5 1200/16.2 1250/16.8 1300/17.4grMAX
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

for fun loads and some serious stuff.
    i like to use 12 grs of 2400 with a 158 gr cast boolit.
    this can be stepped up for more serious work.
    but will tip over rams at 100 meters and i have knocked down turkeys at 150 meters with it in silhouette shoots easily.

GunLoad Trainee

6 - 10+ gr. of Unique with a 158 gr. swaged lead bullet and a T/C Encore 26" bull barrel delivers one hole at 50 yds for me. You may also want to try a wad under the bullet with higher charges. I tried a lot of other powders in the long barrel, most of which were unsuitable for cast bullets, but were fine with jacketed bullets. I guess it depends on which bullet you want to use.