Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R--NE

Cool H&R--NE

Is the H&R guns better than the hew england ones. Bought a topper, it has a solid reciver. My 270 ne hr had allum with steel over it. It loosened up fast

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    Is the H&R guns better than the hew england ones. Bought a topper, it has a solid reciver. My 270 ne hr had allum with steel over it. It loosened up fast
    Toney,
    As far as I know the H&R And the NEF are the same gun, and that H&R bought out the NEF company awhile back. we have one of the old H&R model 15 in 30/30, and can almost equal the 308 with it. They are owned by Marlin now. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/HandRF...s/default.aspx
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

They are indeed the same gun, made in the same factory, by the same bunch of "assemblers". They make some very accurate barrels, but the mating surfaces of barrel and action are not properly heat treated and they loosen quickly with use. This is more pronounced with heavier recoiling chamberings, but a common fault with all of them. For a light duty spare, they might be OK, but they do not stand up to regular use very well. Their concept of an inexpensive switch barrel is a great idea, but they are not Contenders or Encores in quality and their triggers are absolutely horrible. Careful stoning can improve that a bit, but I like to shoot my guns a lot and two examples I have seen and shot just don't make the cut. Just my experiences with them, YMMV.
    As I understand the situation there, they don't pay their workers well, and I am told that they encourage a fairly high turnover rate to keep their labor costs as low as possible. This does little to inspire quality work and drives out anyone with enough experience and knowledge to ensure quality. Two former employees have told me horror stories.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

My 270 loosened up after around 300 rounds and it always had issues with extraction. But i had seen the h&r rifles looked like they had better stocks and cost more.

Have been thinking about another in 357, 22 hornet, 223, a 45-70 would be nice to.
    Toney Relic Hunter

GunLoad Trainee

Default H&r Nef

Toney I have had both NEF and H&R in calibers from 223 to 45/70 and have never had any problem with them that was not operator error.They can be picky about the mmo or reloads that they like ,but if you do your part so will they Doug
    a armed man is his own master

Maybe a dumb question but my first shotgun was and is an H&R 12 gauge Topper. Are rifle barrels interchangeable with the old shotgun or am I hoping for to much? Should add I paid $15. for it in 1958.

Stay Safe
    Bob

If you are reading this, thank a teacher; if you are reading this in English thank a veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank
    Maybe a dumb question but my first shotgun was and is an H&R 12 gauge Topper. Are rifle barrels interchangeable with the old shotgun or am I hoping for to much? Should add I paid $15. for it in 1958.

Stay Safe
    Robertbank,
    I think that you will need the newer rifle frame for the interchangable gun for the two reasons following.
    For One I have an old, maybe 1980's pardner 12ga, that I asked about barrels, and they said that they would not do it on the shot guns, and for two, I have a 1980'S single shot 30/30, which they say is two old to change the barrels on. (If they didn't manufacture the barrel then they won't do barrels for it, Marlin just bought the company with in the past few years - Bull Shop Mom)
    DANIEL/BS JR.

Thanks for the reply. Kind of suspected as much.

Stay Safe
    Bob

If you are reading this, thank a teacher; if you are reading this in English thank a veteran.

There's no reason you can't put an insert in it, is there?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I believe that they will only do the guns that were made when the two companys joined together. If you found a old barrel at a gun show, or some place I believe that the two will work on the one frame because, I got curious and took the barrel off of the shot gun, and the barrel off of the 30/30, put the barrel off the shot gun on the 30/30 wala a shot gun, and put the 30/30 barrel on the shot gun frame WALA, a 30/30. So there you go.
    DANIEL/BS JR.