Thread: 50 Alaskan

GunLoad Trainee

Default 50 Alaskan

Anyone have loading data for a 50 Alaskan using a 550gr cast boolit?

GunLoad Trainee

Default .50 Alaskan

I have an Accurate reloaders guide from 2005. It shows load data for the powder Accurate 5744 and a Cast 550gr boolit for the .50-70 Government, .50-90 Sharps and the .50-140 Sharps. Your cartridge is based on the .348WCF casing. How that compares to the above three cartridges in case capacity I'm not sure. I would be concerned about the recoil that the .50 Alaskan could generate in a single-shot handgun. There is a video on you tube of a guy shooting a single-shot handgun in some elephant caliber. Upon firing, the gun flies out of the guy's hand, hits him in the forehead and continues backward. Something to keep in mind. Anyway, the load data for the .50-70 Government is 22.5gr - 25.0gr for the 550gr boolit and Accurate 5744. The load data for the .50-90 Sharps is 31.5gr - 35.0gr for the 550gr boolit and Accurate 5744. Velocity ranges from 1111fps to 1411fps out of a 30" barreled C. Sharps rifle.. Hopefully this information will put you in the right direction.