Thread: .22 Jet

Default .22 Jet

I have been loading the Remington .22 Jet for most of 40 years. The one problem with this old cartridge is finding a bullet. The bullets are .222 or .223 for best results in a S&W revolver that is no problem.

The problem is finding a .22 bullet in any size that will expand at speeds below 1000 FPS. Does any one know of a .22 bullet that will expand at speeds below 1000 FPS?

redwing I may feel stupid for asking this but what are you using for powder and how much?
    Off the top of my head I thought I was getting about 2000FPS but I may have gotten into a bad batch of drugs lately.

Thanks Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

Lyman #225415 55grFNGC and Lyman #225438 44grRNGC.

The first is a very versatile hunting bullet with a large meplat for good shock effect in small game, maybe a little heavier than you'd like, but I'd still try it, the gun may love it.

The lighter RN's may work a little better in the gun, but they're not as good on game as a FN, though adding a hollow point with a Forster tool could change that quickly.

You sure don't need GC's at those velocities, all they need is tumble lubing and push through sizing. You can cast them as soft as you like (even pure lead if you want, that ought to expand at 1000fps), or as hard as you like, and you can size them custom to your bore. You do have to do some slugging and measuring with a mic (not a caliper) of cylinder throats, forcing cone, and barrel to figure out what you need.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775