PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 to 270 cal

THECAT
10-23-2008, 05:21 AM
Hello reloaders,
I would like to know if any of yall have changed the 30-06 cal and necked it down to the 270 cal and what is involved in the process Dies, trimmers etc...:? I like to experiment some, OR is it a pain in the #** I'm asking cause i have around a 100--200 rounds of 30-06 and don't have one only the 270 and I like it!!!! but would like to change the shells to 270 or look for a good 30-06 ( really would like to have one also ) The friends around me don't have the reloading know how, and i would like to know what ya think ...
Thanks ( THE CAT )

Tom W.
10-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Sure you can. I've done it a lot with .270, .280 and 30-06 going up and down just to see if I could. The case length of the .270 is longer than the '06, but it will work. Check your schematics in your loading manual and you'll see the differences in the cases, and you'll be able to figure from there.I shoot a Ruger #1, so I don't have any magazine issues.

BE ADVISED THAT YOU WILL NEED TO KEEP THIS AMMO AWAY FROM YOUR FRIENDS, AS THE HEADSTAMP WILL NOT CORRESPOND TO THE CALIBER. THAT AIN'T GOOD.

If you're planning to buy a 30-06, it would be in your best interest to discard the converted brass when you buy the new rifle.

THECAT
10-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Bama
I saw the diffrence in the total length of the 270 and was wondering just use the 270 die to resize the neck and will this crush the shoulder or do i need another die to start the sizing process i'm new to reloading and casting only about 2 1/2 years and mostly hand guns revolvers and a 9 auto .. working on the 223 14'' TC (old style) reloads now, but thinking about the 270 and still reading as much as possiable ANY thing else you can help me with is apreciated... .. tonight is an example started reading at around 11 pm and still reading at 6 am :coffee:( don't work tomorrow ) and am a night owl ....
Thanks again ...BAMA ( THE CAT )

miken54
10-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Cat, You might want an inside neck reamer for those .270s made out of '06 brass. What I'd find uncomfortable would be all that .270 ammo that was headstamped "30-06" on the brass. After all, getting some .270 brass is no big deal. You could probably make a trade with someone else on this site. Just a thought...

versifier
10-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Just lube the cases properly and run them through the .270 FL sizer, then check the length and trim if needed. While I don't think neck thickness will be a problem with most commercial brass, some of it can have thicker necks, so do check it carefully and be prepared to do some reaming if necessary.

With reformed cases (where the headstamp differs from the actual) I have a system that I use to keep from getting the brass confused:
1. Wipe the head of the case with acetone (nail polish remover) to clean and degrease it.
2. Apply red or other bright color of nail polish to fill in the stamped letters and allow to dry.
3. Remove excess with fine steel wool leaving the lettering colored so that it is easily spotted and less easy to confuse.

Don't let anyone else use your converted brass unless under your direct supervision.

I use the system with .30 Herrett cases formed from .30-30's, .30/.223's formed from .223's, and .30BR's formed from 7mmBR's. I started doing it after a buddy gave me a bunch of 8x57 cases formed from -06's and I tried to seat a .30cal bullet in one of them after reading the headstamp. [smilie=1:

Some loaders mark their reformed cases with sharpie markers, either coloring them or just clearly labeling them with the new case size. I would imagine if you did it that way that you would need to redo it periodically, especially if you tumble your cases. (I do not tumble cases as I believe in keeping them clean in the first place and have no wish to be ingesting the particulate airborne lead they produce.)

kodiak1
10-24-2008, 01:46 AM
versifier I like your method of marking that should last quite sometime.
I usually mark my resized brass with ziffy marker but it don't last very long.

Ken.

THECAT
10-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Thanks for all the info miken54, versifier, and bama... i was only going to try it on about 20 cases and see how it goes from there and getting into the experiment stage being a semi detailed (READ SLOW) person, trying to keep things safe for all .. the cases will be marked for my rifle only and thanks for the nail polish idea sounds good. THE CAT

versifier
10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Case forming is fun, and if you are into (or happen into) an old rifle with an obsolete or obsolescent chambering, it can be a vital skill. This is a fairly easy conversion that should teach you the basics and give you confidence for a time when you will really need the skill. The next step up in level of difficulty is when you have to radically upsize or downsize a neck, then it's better to go in steps, and anealing the brass first never hurts. Then you go to shortening cases, which sometimes requires forming die(s), and then you go to using a lathe for rim and head alterations. If you want to read up on it, The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions is a great book that deals with the subject in serious depth.

BTW, I have a bunch of once-fired .270 range brass (100+) from my club that I will sell for cheap plus postage. PM me if you are interested.

THECAT
10-25-2008, 07:23 AM
sounds intresting... if we have the time with my 7 year old ...... and my 11 year old twins (boy & girl) & 2yr old Twin boys both twins are grandkids from my two boys 28 & 25 yr old how much for the 270 brass i have some old 303 rounds that was givin to me three looks reloaded and the rest looks unfired the shells are tarnished, normal aging, but two have a little corrosion near the head.. from being damp i guess thinking of pulling the boolits and cleaning the brass .except the two, and letting someone have them or trade

miken54
10-25-2008, 08:24 PM
I have some 270 ammo, what kind of 303 ammo do you have?

THECAT
10-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Hello miken54
20 rnds --- three rds IMPERIAL 303 BRIT look to be reloaded?? by the primer being silver ?? grns
the others, 17 rds RP 303 BRITISH 180 grs in a REM box used ... was given to me in trade with other stuff i needed ..

miken54
10-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey Cat, I was hoping you had some .303 Savage ammo. I've got no use for the .303 British, nothing against it, just no guns that use it. Of course, if you have some .303 Savage to trade away, give me a holler.

THECAT
10-26-2008, 03:36 AM
me neither... sorry for the confusion no other 303 miken54 Thanks for your time and interest THE CAT

miken54
10-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Bravo , Cat, it's a real pleasure talkin' guns and reloading. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Bullshop Junior
10-31-2008, 01:36 AM
I have
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.