PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy shoulders

balzout
10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
I came to a stand still on my 30-378 because of wind so I changed my dies and started to resize my .204 brass. After doing a box of 20 I noticed about every third one or so had wrinkles on the shoulders. I don't think that it ruined the brass, but from what I've read if the case has to expand during the firing process, it could effect accuracy. Not very handy when trying to find proper load so I'll save these for hunting brass after I dial the gun in. Could there be something wrong with the die or did I set it up wrong? I ran the press all the way up and seated the die plus one quarter turn like I did with the .308. Any thoughts? Thanks Larry

kodiak1
10-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Wrinkles in the shoulder 99% of the time is to much lube on the case. If this has occured clean out the die and wipe some of the lube off of the brass.

Ken.

balzout
10-17-2008, 04:07 AM
That was it. Cleaned the die and the next 20 turned out right.

I read when using a new die to be sure and lubricate well. Guess this was one of those circumstances when alot is not always better. (rookie)

Am I correct in assuming as long as there are not sharp dents is the brass that they are still usable? Thanks Larry

Tom W.
10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Sure. Lube dents should iron out when you fire the round. I've done it enough times that I'm no longer embarrassed by it....

kodiak1
10-17-2008, 02:32 PM
balzout the wrinkles will definetly come out upon firing.
Everyone that reloads has done it.
I don't know if they will really effect the way they shoot.
If you are going to the range anyway get your firearm sighted in then run 5 or 6 and see if they group the same. I think you wil;l be in the same place.

Ken.

versifier
10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Everyone that reloads has done it.

Think of it as a rite of passage. No harm done. It has never made any difference that I could see or measure. Make sure you clean ALL the lube off of the cases after sizing. A rag works fine. You don't want any on your hands when handling primers, either.

runfiverun
10-19-2008, 04:00 AM
when you get a new set of dies clean them, brake cleaner a rag and some q-tips.
do in the garage or out side or you will be doing your re-loading out side too.

hardcast416taylor
10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I agree to the thought expressed that about everyone has had wrinkles caused by lube. I lube my brass on a cookie sheet that the Mrs. retired. I use Dillion spray lube then roll the brass around on the sheet to spread it over the case body. Now the first thing I do before putting the case in the press is to give the neck/shoulder a quick light wipe with a t-shirt rag. I haven`t had a wrinkled shoulder since in many years nor a stuck, if you`re wondering.:coffee: