PDA

View Full Version : Bore conditioning products

DaveT
04-14-2005, 03:12 AM
I thought I would get a forum started on a product I have been using to condition the bores of my long guns. Tetra Gun Lubricant is the product I have been using and it claims to reduce friction, wear and fouling. Provides rust protection. Bore conditioning for increased velocity. I was using a product called Friction Block that came out about 15 years ago with good success. Have just started using the Tetra product as a repacement and I have to say it seems to work well. I clean after 20 - 25 rounds and cleaning is much easier after the bore is coated with a good lubricant. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic and does anyone remember a product called Friction Block

Bass Ackward
05-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I thought I would get a forum started on a product I have been using to condition the bores of my long guns. Tetra Gun Lubricant is the product I have been using and it claims to reduce friction, wear and fouling. Provides rust protection. Bore conditioning for increased velocity. I was using a product called Friction Block that came out about 15 years ago with good success. Have just started using the Tetra product as a repacement and I have to say it seems to work well. I clean after 20 - 25 rounds and cleaning is much easier after the bore is coated with a good lubricant. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic and does anyone remember a product called Friction Block

Dave,

I used Terta Gun back in the early 80s. Never used the Friction Block. Here is the only thing I use now. Great for barrel break in applications where you might get a lot of copper right off.

http://www.lubricationspecs.com/Whatsnew.htm

Gunload Master
05-02-2005, 09:33 PM
I usually run Sweets 7.62 solvent through a few times and clean it out some typical Hoppes.

Bass Ackward
05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I usually run Sweets 7.62 solvent through a few times and clean it out some typical Hoppes.

GM,

Absolutely. Sweets is my remover.

But this stuff is able to be put on your ammunition. It dries. Good for those days where you are blazing away and want to hold your accuracy like a prarie dog village. Or blazing away with a semi automatic, or a real pressure machine like a 300 RUM. Or if you are shooting solid copper bullets like Barnes. Instead of getting 3 shots and being totally coppered up, you might get 6 or 7. But if you shoot regular Hornady's or such just 10 times a secession, then I doubt you would notice unless it corrects a rough bore issue giving you better accuracy. I have cases on new rifles where 7/8" groups are cut to 3/8". But after the barrel is broken in, this edge disappears and .... may actually go the other way if it changes barrel time.

Makes a superb lubricant for handguns and anything where high friction occurs because it won't thicken in the cold. The rest of the promo stuff is fluff, but it is a good lubricant. Always wondered about it in bullet lube.