PDA

View Full Version : What Press

cidd11
09-23-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm taking a reloading class this fall . I would like to get your opinion on what press to buy. I will only be doing Handgun reloads, No rifle.
The Lee loadmaster is around 200.00 $ And the RCBS Pro 2000 is about 425.00$.
What makes the RCBS so much more expensive ? I am only reloading for myself, I'm not looking to pump out 1000s of rounds a day. Maybe 1000 rounds a month.

Thanks , I'm sure I will have a lot more questions coming.

Chuck

kodiak1
09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
cidd11 Any press will do the trick for you, the Lee will work fine.
The RCBS is more expensive because of the quality (this is my opinion only) In all the years I have been reloading I have only heard of 1 RCBS's being broken (major break) I have heard of probably 5 or 6 Lee's being broken.
I have a Redding Single stage
A C&H4D 3 stage my oldest 25 + years old this has been a great press.
I also have a Dillon 650 this is way over kill for the way you are talking. If you want to reload a lot of bullets in a short time it is the way to go. You have to spend a lot of time setting it up for each head.
Pick one and have fun. Ken.

versifier
09-23-2008, 05:37 PM
The two biggest differences are quality and customer service, but neither one of those presses is at all appropriate for a beginner. You may not agree with my opinion, but it comes from 35 years of handloading experience and 20 years of teaching it to others.

If you are considering a progressive press before ever having loaded a single round, you are putting the cart before the horse.

When you are starting out, you need to learn the basics of the reloading process first, and you ought to be doing it on a single stage press. That way, you can concentrate on one operation at a time and gain a thorough understanding of everything that has to happen at each step in the process. While none of it is rocket science (except interior and exterior ballistics), there is a LOT of information you need to learn, and trying to learn it all at once while learning to run a complicated machine like a progressive press is not, in my opinion, very realistic from standpoints of both practicality and especially safety.

I have taught reloading for many years to many students. All of them started out on single stage presses, and many of them have later upgraded when their needs and experience called for it. Not one of them has ever had an accident. When you have the experience of more than a few thousand rounds of different calibers and case styles under your belt, and you know how much you actually need to be loading to keep up with your shooting demands, then you will be in a much better position to be able to judge what kind of progressive (or turret) press would be an appropriate upgrade, or if in fact you will need to upgrade at all. Most handloaders are well served by single stage presses for all their loading needs.

If I were you, I would look into buying a single stage starter kit from one of the big names like RCBS, Lyman , Hornady, etc. It will contain everything you need (press, priming tool, scale, powder measure, loading block, lube pad, chamfer/deburring tool...) to get started at a substantial savings over buying everything separately. One reloading manual should come with it, but a wise handloader has at least two, and three or four is even better. The reason: you will need a way to compare and evaluate loading data because test firearms and components are different for every source.

Manuals should be your first purchases, before you even think about any tools. Reading them all will give you a much better understanding of what is going on and when you take your loading course, you will get much more out of it that if you were starting cold.

cidd11
09-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Thank you guys for that advice. I have watched a couple different videos on reloading so when I take the class I won't be completely lost. Now I think I will wait to get a press until after I take the class.

On a single stage press do you have to readjust the dies each time you put them in?

Thanks

kodiak1
09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
cidd11 once you get your die set you lock your lock ring and you will have some minor tweaking next time you go to use it but you are very close. Always check each and every time you set up a die half a minute of checking can save you a real booboo.
Ken.

versifier
09-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Once you are set up, all you have to adjust is your seater die if you are switching bullets. You might want to make a minor adjustment here and there as you learn more about what is going on, but once set, you are good to go. (If you switch presses, then you will have to reset everything.) I have several die sets whose adjustments I have not changed in over thirty years. I still double check things every time, though - it's a good habit to get into. See what kind of press your instructor recommends - he ought to have several different kinds for you to check out (I keep three, two SS and a turret). The manuals will explain things in much greater depth than the videos will and be a lot more help to you before the class starts and during it, too. I would start with Sierra and Lyman.

dardascastbullets
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Cidd,

You have to ask yourself how much time do you currently have available (and will have available in the future) to reload 1,000 rounds per month. If you have ALOT of time then a single stage press will fit your bill. If you do not have ALOT of time and you want to reload your rounds in one sitdown session then a progressive press will be the way to go.

I trust that this information will help you in your decision making.

Matt Dardas
Dardas Cast Bullets
www.dardascastbullets.webs.com

runfiverun
09-27-2008, 05:38 AM
for handguns a progressive is the way to go, for about 350.00 you can get a dillon 550.
simple easy to operate and fairly fast.
these are well built machines with an awesome warranty.
if you are gonna shoot 1000 rds a month you may wanna spend time shooting and not reloading. or fighting with a machine.

Hunter
09-28-2008, 05:40 AM
I agree, getting started in reloading you need to learn on a single stage.
Trying to learn reloading and operating a progressive at the same time will make it tougher.
I prefer Hornady first and RCBS second.
With the L-N-L set up you only have to set the dies up once, and with the Get Loaded promotion it is a tough deal to beat.

reloader45
10-01-2008, 12:55 AM
To start out for pistol try the RCBS partner press kit,I use this press just for pistol short strok and has a very good set up with the kit. So far about 40,000 rounds from .380 auto to 45 colt and all in between.

jimkim
10-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Try the Lee Classic Cast press. You can order the L-N-L conversion for it. If you ever decide to load 50 BMG you can do that with it too. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=858110

Brother Jeeter
10-05-2008, 04:40 AM
I have been handloading for a bit over twenty years. For a lot of that time, I have used a Redding Boss Single Stage Press.
For a few years I was heavily into long range shooting of a high power rifle. That got me pretty deeply into 'Precision' loading. The Boss was up to the task. I have produced thousands of rounds of .44 Magnum ammunition, buckets full of .45-70 ammunition and a lot of .44 Special loads with my Redding. The Redding Boss is likely the last press I will ever own. It does everything I need to do. And it's practically indestructable. That could probably be said of RCBS, Pacific and Lyman Presses as well. I have no experience with any other 'better' presses.
I started out on a cast aluminum press, also a Single Stage. I learned enough to know I was going to Handload for the rest of my life. So I upgraded to the Redding. I have bought other assorted loading tools. In fact I now have two Power Measures on my loading bench and I have tried a couple of Priming Tools. But I will not be buying another press.
The Redding Boss is currently available from Midway for $99.99
Here's the link.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=709373&t=11082005

Tom W.
10-06-2008, 02:23 AM
I started out with a three hole Lee turret press, and it did o.k., but traded it for a single stage Lee Challenger, which I used for a number of years until I bought an RCBS RCII. It will probably be my last press. If I feel the need for a progressive, it will probably be a Dillon, but that would be a long time into the future, if at all.

cidd11
10-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I want to thank everyone here for your advice. I'm still not sure witch press I will get yet, But you have giving me a lot to think about. I think I will take the class first and than decide.

cidd11
10-12-2008, 10:46 AM
What do you thing of this book ? Looks like it has a lot of good information in it at a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reloading-Book-Pistols-9-mm-357-40-45-ACP-Auto-Manual_W0QQitemZ350100494412QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em350100494412&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

versifier
10-12-2008, 03:41 PM
There is some good info in it, but you will get much more, including loading data for everything and in depth explanations, from a bullet maker's manual. Books like that are fine to add to one's data collection (basically all they contain is loading data for a very limited number of cartridges), but they are more of an afterthought than a primary resource. I have several similar ones in my collection, one for T/C Contenders, and single caliber books for the .357mag and .45ACP. My Sierra Manual has more loads and info than all of them together.

hardcast416taylor
10-28-2008, 09:39 PM
What you need to do is watch a friend load on his equipment. Ask questions about what he does or doesn`t like about his equipment and WHY! Talk to other loaders, if possible, that have different outfits why they use that brand. In short build up your lungs about reloading first, then your arms reloading. But, do start out with a single stage, you`ll catch on why. Crawl, Walk, Then try to Run!!!:coffee:

The Straight Shooter
10-29-2008, 02:43 AM
cidd11,
If you look at mechanic's post about reloading, there is some good info in there too. I myself have a Lee single stage that I got in their anniversary kit. Good press. I load .45 Colt, .44-40. and .45 ACP in it and have never had any problems. Fairly inexpensive too. But a Dillon Square Deal B is only $350. But I would recommend a single stage and have a friend there to help you get your dies set properly. ASK QUESTIONS!!!!! The only dumb questions about reloading are the ones not asked! Have fun and be safe!

Bullshop Junior
10-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Get a single stage. Way safer. If you HAVE to have something that is alittle faster get the lee classic turret. With the atomatic indexer, it is alot faster that a single stage, but still safer then a full auto.
As for the RSBS being more, it is a way better press, and has a life or forever, what ever comes first. time garintee, that they will always stick too.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.