PDA

View Full Version : round nose and spitzer type bullets

skidd041
09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi I havn`t been reloading for long all I reload so far is 22-250 and 300 wsm .I`ve been using 180 grn nosler partitions with 67grn of imr 4350 in my 300 wsm a freind of mine gave me a box of 100 hot cor speer 180 grn round nose bullets . will these be fine with my recipe ?or is there a difference in presure useing round nose vs pointed ? I can`t find any data to compare the two?

kg42
09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I have data from the defunct ShortMag website somewhere... can't find the CD....

Try here: http://web.archive.org/web/20070107090116/www.netrifle.com/shortmags/downloads.htm

Also look at how much space the new bullet takes in the case and its bearing surface.
Anyway the rule is to use starting loads again when changing bullet.

kg

versifier
09-07-2008, 03:11 AM
There may be a difference in pressure with the same charge, but it won't be due to the bullet's profile. Different jacket material, different case capacity because the seating depth will not be the same, etc. There shouldn't be a difference in the charge table you use, like there would be if switching to a solid copper or bronze bullet, but you still, as mentioned, have to start at the bottom and work up. General rule is reduce charge by 10% whan changing any component, and that usually puts you back close enough to the starting load to work it up from scratch anyway. Partitions are not known for their accuracy, but they are cleaner balistically than RN's and will not lose energy as fast when they get out to longer ranges. I would not expect great accuracy with a RN out beyond 150yds or so, but every rifle is different and yours may love them. DO expect a shift in POI with similar charges. You can't predict what bullet any particular rifle will like best, you just have to experiment with different weights, styles, and brands to to find out. Some rifles are very picky, others will do well with whatever you feed them.

skidd041
09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
ok thanks I figured I should start over