PDA

View Full Version : 2400 powder

dale clawson
08-20-2008, 12:43 AM
I am loading for 22 Hornet, 50 gr. V-Max. My Lyman handbook #45(1970) lists 9.3-10.3 as start and max loads for this powder. Speer #10 lists 7.5-8.5. Is this due to lawyer nervousness, powder changes, or better testing of pressures? I am shooting these in a Ruger 77/22 and Tarus Raging Hornet, so can I safely up the ante? Primers are some what flattened, but not excessively so. I usually check load data on the internet , but their site is down. DALE

versifier
08-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Sierra lists 8.4-9.9 of 2400 for the Hornet.
Lee lists 6.4-7.0. (Usually Lee data specifies either lead or jacketed, this does not, though it was followed by a some data labeled as jacketed that did not include 2400 powder.)

There is an amazing amount of variation between different brands (and lots) of Hornet brass (neck thickness, wall thickness, case weight, powder capacity), and often a measurable difference between Hornet chambers, especially those in older rifles. Pressure testing has improved a lot in the last 35 years, too, so I would not consider data that old to be safe or reliable.

Bottom Line: If you are seeing the primers begin to flatten, you are approaching a max load for the firearm. I would be trying several different brands of brass to see if the same degree of flattening is observed at the same charge levels. You may find that certain brands will let you go higher with no pressure signs, but you may also find just the opposite. I had a Contender in that chambering some years ago, but most of the loads I used in it are over max by today's data, and I will not post them. Accuracy was never up to hoped for levels, so I sold it and got a .223 barrel and was equally disappointed. :-D The Ruger can handle fairly stout loads, no comment on the Taurus. FWIW, the Hornet is not considered to be an easy round to load for, and has caused many very experienced loaders difficulties. Patience is the key, but a lot of patience may be needed.

dale clawson
08-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks, that is about what I had guessed. I don't mind working out the load, as long as it arrives at a satisfactory conclusion. I've got to work on cast loads also. I have the 22 Bator and a 44 gr. boolit to work with. DALE