PDA

View Full Version : New guy .....

EhlerDave
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Howdy folks. I am new to this site. I found it through cast boolits. Just saying hello. I like to reload, it gives me something to do. I got my first Lee Loader at age 12, that was 30 years ago and I still have it, 30-30 win, I even use it once in a while.

I will be spending time reading through many of the postings on here see what I can learn.

Have a good day, David.

kodiak1
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
EhlerDave welcome to the site.
What you reload for?

Ken.

runfiverun
07-30-2008, 12:58 AM
i like to talk about reloading as much as i do cast boolits

EhlerDave
07-30-2008, 02:04 AM
EhlerDave welcome to the site.
What you reload for?

Ken.

I load for 38, 357,9mm, 41 and 44mag along with the common rifles.

azduke
07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
So far I like this site and hopefully will learn from the experienced people.Any advice on staying with single stage or progressive

versifier
07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Welcome to EhlerDave and azduke, too.

azduke, I love the SS/Turret/Progressive debate. You will find a number of different opinions here, as all of us have different interests, needs, and experience. Between us, you ought to get enough information to make a decision about what's right for you.

Here are the three big questions:
1) How long have you been loading?
2) How many rounds per month do you load and for what?
3) Are you spending most of your time working up loads, doing small lots of different calibers, or are you doing up large amounts of the same loads for practice/competition?

After years of teaching the basics to many new loaders, I have formed some fairly strong opinions on the subject, but they are just that: my opinions. (I don't carve them into stone tablets with lightning and send Charlton Heston down the mountain to deliver them.) :-D Safety is always my #1 concern, and the more thoroughly the material is understood, the better. We all learn at different speeds and in different ways, so I tend to be of the "take your time and get plenty of practice" school. Presses are just one of our tools, but they are the central focus of every loading bench. It behooves us to learn them well and all the different operations they can perform, building on what we've already learned, and introducing new operations and techniques as we are ready for them. The simpler the tool, the more the focus remains on learning the individual operations, how thay are accomplished, and when and why they are needed.

That's why I think everyone should start out with a single stage press and stick with it until they have several thousand rounds of both rifle and pistol cartridges under their belt. This usually takes about a year for the average newby. By that time, they will know if they are going to enjoy the hobby, have had a chance to learn and understand all of the individual operations in the loading process, and have a pretty good idea of how much and what kinds of ammo they are going to need for their shooting pleasure. Then, depending upon how much and what kind of loading they need to do, adding either a turret or a progressive press to their loading bench might make sense for them.

Think about the questions and post your answers to them.

runfiverun
07-31-2008, 04:29 AM
that is good advice up there
i have two progressives and three of the slow ones.
which adds up to a faster rockchucker.
the progressives are for bulk pistol loading!. and i have extra die sets so when i play with
50 new cast boolit alloys i am not messing with my every day load.
i just set the die sets up for the chuckers in order. and work over to the powder scales
and final chucker with the seating die in it.
but all of my quality hunting/target stuff is done only on single stage.
there are other ways for speed,electric case trimmers,electric powder measures, etc
but quality comes with measuring and sameness.

kodiak1
08-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Dave I load those except the 41 which I subbed a bunch of 32 cal's.
Ken.

missionary5155
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
WELCOM ! I load the 41... some of the others... BUT 41 MAGNUM is my FAVORITE.... Never had one that would not shoot straight right out of the box... Dan Wesson is My #1 BEST shooter...

EhlerDave
08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
WELCOM ! I load the 41... some of the others... BUT 41 MAGNUM is my FAVORITE.... Never had one that would not shoot straight right out of the box... Dan Wesson is My #1 BEST shooter...

I am with you on the 41 mag Dan Wesson. I hunt small game with light loads and deer with magnum loads. I have even been known to put the 4 in barrle on it and carry it in my wheelchair. I think I like the 41 the best out of the guns I shoot, or it could be that I have just had it the longest. :)