PDA

View Full Version : Favorite powders for 357 Mag????

GRW26
07-24-2008, 03:39 AM
New to reloading the 357, just bought a GP100. I have molds for 158gr plain base and gas check. What is your most accurate powder? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

versifier
07-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I have had good luck with Unique. Have you measured the cylinder throats and slugged the barrel?

Tom W.
07-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Blue Dot, 2400 and H110 work well in mine...

Hunter
07-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Another vote for Unique.

jimkim
07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Unique, AAC-#5,AAC-#7, HP-38,W-231
I was going to include Blue Dot but the recent warnings from Alliant have spooked me a little.
Here is one of my fav sites. I have used several of the loads listed on here.

************************************************** *******************************
>>>>>>Don't forget to reduce the data by ten percent and work up slowly.<<<<<<<<<
To do this multiply the given weight by 0.90.
I would also compare it against Data from the POWDER MANUFACTURERS.
They are more likely to keep up with changes in the burn characteristics of their product.

************************************************** *******************************
http://www.reloadammo.com/357loads.htm

158 grain LSWC or LRN (Semi-Wad Cutter or Round Nose)
(I don't recommend lead at over 900 FPS)
(unless at least using a Gas Check or copper plated)
Bullseye-----6.5 gr.-------1,320 FPS
Unique-------6.8 gr.-------1,295
Universal----6.7 gr.-------1,297
HP38---------3.9 gr.---------846
No. 2---------5.8 gr.-------1,074
No. 5---------8.2 gr.-------1,239
No. 7--------10.5 gr.------1,239
231-----------6.7 gr.-------1,275
231-----------6.1 gr.-------1,075 (plated, actual in 7" bbl revolver)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
296*--------14.5 gr.-------1,560 (Never reduce 296 or H110 data by more than 3%)

GRW26
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the information. Tried some of the loads, the gun is a lot more accurate than i expected. .75" groups at 25 yards. I was hitting cans at 50 yards free hand, love those red dot sights!

Thanks again.
http://reloaders.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
:-D
Grw

kodiak1
07-28-2008, 12:39 AM
2400 is my favorite, but any of the above have been used and proven.
Ken.

versifier
07-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Unique, AAC-#5,AAC-#7, HP-38,W-231
I was going to include Blue Dot but the recent warnings from Alliant have spooked me a little.
Here is one of my fav sites. I have used several of the loads listed on here.
Dont forget to reduce the data by ten percent and work up slowly.
http://www.reloadammo.com/357loads.htm

158 grain LSWC or LRN (Semi-Wad Cutter or Round Nose)
(I don't recommend lead at over 900 FPS)
(unless at least using a Gas Check or copper plated)
Bullseye-----6.5 gr.-------1,320 FPS
Unique-------6.8 gr.-------1,295
Universal----6.7 gr.-------1,297
HP38---------3.9 gr.---------846
No. 2---------5.8 gr.-------1,074
No. 5---------8.2 gr.-------1,239
No. 7--------10.5 gr.------1,239
231-----------6.7 gr.-------1,275
231-----------6.1 gr.-------1,075 (plated, actual in 7" bbl revolver)
296*--------14.5 gr.-------1,560

Here's some food for thought:
158gr loads for .357Mag, min/max
Lee Manual
BEYE Lead 5.9/6.5 Jacketed 6.3/6.8
UNQ Lead 6.2/6.8 Jacketed 7.2/7.8
UNV Lead 4.0/6.2 Jacketed Not Listed
HP38 Lead 3.4/5.0 Jacketed Not Listed
AA#2 Lead 5.2/5.8 Jacketed Not Listed
AA#5 Lead 8.1/9.0 Jacketed Not Listed
AA#7Lead 9.9/11.0 Jacketed Not Listed
231 Lead 6.2/6.7 Jacketed 6.5/6.9
296 Lead NA/14.5 Jacketed NA/16.6c

Sierra Manual - Jacketed
BEYE 6.2/7.2
UNQ 7.7/8.2
UNV not listed
HP38 not listed
AA#2 6.6/7.5
AA#5 8.9/9.9
AA#7 10.2/12.0
231 7.0/7.7
296 15.9/17.3

Please note the discrepancies between these two reputable data sources, then, keeping that in mind, notice also how many of the loads posted on your website fall outside the safe working range of the listed powders. Having "used several" does not make them safe, tested data. I believe it to be at best unwise to be posting them in this form on a public forum. While I realize you were just wanting to help out a fellow shooter, you must realize that there are many new and inexperienced loaders browsing this site, many without the knowledge (or even the manuals at hand) to be able to evaluate the safety of loads from a questionable source. While I am not the moderator over here, if you had posted them over on Gunloads next door, I would have deleted the numbers in your post, (and respectfully suggest that you do the same yourself here), and hope that you will please stick to cited reputable published sources with the working ranges for the powders noted if you are going to post actual loads. I do not want to see some newby harm himself or others with data found on this site.

Willy, if this is a problem, please delete my post.

runfiverun
07-28-2008, 03:03 AM
this is exactly the reason for not taking data from any source, sept the books.
i have a few guns that would work fine with that data.
and one that would probably be launched, if i tried to get anywhere close to those loads.
the best advice is powder and maybe some boolit weights.
or a where to start data.
but those loads are all at max or over.
and handguns are really hard to check pressures in. [ for me anyway]

and 900 with cast boolits as a maximum velocity, idf'n think so 2000+ is easily obtainable with cast boolits in rifle or pistol, if they are properly set up.

jimkim
07-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Well bless your heart. Can you read? It is in your quote plain as day.
>>>>>"Dont forget to reduce the data by ten percent and work up slowly."<<<<<

So out of all of those loads ONE is not close to YOUR minimums(but it is within the min and max range) if reduced by 10% and the other is the only listed load for that powder.(never reduce W-296 loads by more than 3% I forgot to put that in)

>>>>>"158 grain LSWC or LRN (Semi-Wad Cutter or Round Nose)"<<<<<
I cant believe I'm having to explain this to a moderator.
LSWC stands for LeadSemiWadCutter and LRN stands for LeadRoundNose.
Your Sierra Jacketed Data while pretty is also pretty useless in this application.
I believe the data I listed comes from at least as reputable a source as Gun Loads.
I never take any data at face value. I always check it against other sources, and wouldn't recommend it if I hadn't.

The 6.7gr Universal load is safe according to my manual. 6.7gr =34,800cup
357 mag,
158gr LSWC,
Hodgdon Universal,
starting load 5.5 gr,>>>Maximum load 6.7gr<<<
Is the Hodgdon manual "reputable" enough for you?

Folks(and Willy) to actually see what is going on here read this. http://forum.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=697
I have a feeling the mod is going to find fault no matter what I post.
If you want more Data PM me and I will give you some and also site it's legitimacy.

jimkim
07-28-2008, 03:47 AM
this is exactly the reason for not taking data from any source, sept the books.
i have a few guns that would work fine with that data.
and one that would probably be launched, if i tried to get anywhere close to those loads.
the best advice is powder and maybe some boolit weights.
or a where to start data.
but those loads are all at max or over.
and handguns are really hard to check pressures in. [ for me anyway]

and 900 with cast boolits as a maximum velocity, idf'n think so 2000+ is easily obtainable with cast boolits in rifle or pistol, if they are properly set up.

See my last post. Specifically the "Reduce by 10%" part.
Then read this "unless at least using a Gas Check or copper plated"
His warning about exceeding 900fps is pretty much self explanatory.(excessive leading with soft plain based bullets)

versifier
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Go back and compare the numbers. Some of those posted loads are BELOW MINIMUM. You want to reduce those by 10% too? You don't seem to be able to understand that posting things in the manner you are doing is dangerous. Safety is the primary issue here, but civility is a close second. It appears from this and from your previous thread that getting in the last word is much more important to you than the safety of the members here. You practice no discretion either in what you post or in the tone of your replies. All three Gunloads forums are supposed to be friendly places where members can learn and exchange data in a safe and civil manner. I think you owe us a collective apology for your mistake and for your attitude, not another snide load of puerile vitriol.

jimkim
07-28-2008, 05:59 PM
You win. Ill not be back. To the other people on here take anything this nut says with a grain of salt. He has the attitude if he doesnt do it, it isnt safe. That isnt always the case in the real world. Go back and read our other exchange if you havent allready.

Any load data posted by anyone,including me, should always be checked with several different manuals. I would suggest contacting the powder companies if there is any doubt. That is what I do and have done for more than twenty years now. For the beginer I would recomend buying the Lyman
Reloader's Handbook they have a wide variety of different loads and bullet combinations in them.

runfiverun
07-29-2008, 12:28 AM
jimkim
you are arguing on the same side.
and are correct in that following the books are your best bet.
pointing them in the direction of a powder and letting them figure out what is safe in their gun is the right thing to do.
they could have a ruger....... or something made in 1966, in cambodia.
if they ask for a load you use, give it to them,...with the warning...
teaching new guys is a responsibility also.

GRW26
07-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Calm down everyone, when you start getting personal it ruins it for everyone and keeps people from sharing their knowledge, which is what this site is all about. I have gained a lot of know how here and really appreciate ALL the contributors. Keep it civil and "can't we all just get along".....Thanks for the advise, I did not want any hurt feelings. Keep shooting and please keep contributing to the site. I have reloaded for 20 years, but have only been casting for a few months, without this site I would still be casing half bootlits and getting really pissed off about it.

Again, thank you to all you guys that help out the newbies, I think I can speak for all of us. It is appreciated!
GRW

jimkim
08-24-2008, 05:43 AM
I didn't know we had an ignore list here.