PDA

View Full Version : T/C Encore

Dit
07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi
I have an encore with 308 cal. barrel and getting misfires. Anyone having problems? Anyone have ideas on what to look for as a problem? Kevin

versifier
07-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the Guide, Dit.

More info needed. Are you using factory ammo or handloads?
If factory, what kind(s)?
If handloads, what specific components and what kind and brand of sizing die?

Dit
07-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi
I use factory ammo. I use Remington Express Core-Lokt 150gr. It will dent the primer but won't always fire. I've been looking on line and there are some sites that have been helpful. T/C says send it back and they will look at it. I had the gunsmith I use to look at it and he said everything looks like it's doing what it's supposed to. I have changed the hammer spring to heavier spring this seems to help so far. Kevin

versifier
07-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Since they asked to see it, send the barrel back to T/C ASAP. Their CS dept is top notch.

The problem is either in the ammo, the frame, or the barrel.

With factory rounds, odds are it's not the ammo. (Have you tried other brands in it?)

Does it happen when other rifle caliber barrels are on the frame, or just with this particular barrel? If it happens with other barrels, the problem is with the frame and may well be the hammer spring. But, unless the frame has seen many thousands of rounds fired, it is not very likely IMO. If it does happen with other barrels, send them the frame, too, and let them check it out and see what they find. They seldom charge for repairs and adjustments (unless it's obvious Bubba has had a go at it first), and when they do, the cost is very reasonable.

If it only happens with the .308 barrel, that leaves only the barrel. So....

Did your gunsmith friend check the .308 chamber with a NOGO gage?

Did he ask for fired cases to measure and compare with the unfired factory ammo?

Did he do a chamber cast?

If the problem is occurring in only this barrel with factory ammo it sounds suspiciously like the chamber reamer was run in a tad bit too long resulting in excessive headspace. Dollars to donuts that's what they want to check for, too. Especially if the change of spring "helped" but did not cure the problem.

If you had said you had been using handloads, I would have suggested that you might have the sizer adjusted incorrectly so it is setting the shoulders back too far, producing about the same situation. (Firing pin pushes the case forward and it stops too far away to be able to strike and ignite the primer). It is a common handloading error to have the sizer set too low causing misfires or too high sometimes causing difficulties chambering.

A careful handloader could work around a headspace issue by fireforming brass to the chamber and adjusting the sizing die to match it. It's a common situation in milsurps, especially with .303Brits. But it is much better to have a chamber that's in spec so you can use any commercially available ammo in it without problems.

Dit
07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi no haven't tried any other ammo. I only have the 308 barrel and muzzleloader barrel. It has never misfired with the muzzleloader barrel. I know that my gunsmith put some blanks in and they fired and he checked to see if everything was closing properly and not sure what else. I only deer hunt with it once a year and the gunsmith said to go and shoot it and see if I can get it to misfire. So I'm going to go shoot it and see and if it misfires I will send the barrel back to T/C. Thanks Kevin

bullseye
07-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Okay, I'll try this again. In refernce to your encore, if you changed the hammer spring and the problem still exists, install a hammer extention. It will probably add just enough weight to the hammer to engage the primer. I had the same scenario with 25.06. Presently, 100 rounds later, no problem. Food for thought.:-